GULP-General Utility Lattice Program

In summary, the speakers are discussing their struggles with using GULP and GDIS for parallel computing. They are beginners and have issues with compiling, understanding space group symmetry, and defining periodic boundary conditions. They are seeking help from someone who has experience with GULP.
Useful nucleus
I wonder if somebody has ued it before. I have some probblems in compiling it to work in parallel and I hope that somebody can help in this!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well even i have just started to use it. I also have issues. From example I don't understand what it means by space group symmetry in GULP. I'm wondering what would be its value for silicon. Also I would like to know after defining the position of systems, how should i give a periodic boundary condition to the system. Can anyone help me out here pleasee

I am also one beginer,I have downloaded the GULP which is windows version and I have downloaded the GDIS at the same time.But I don't know how run GULP through GDIS.
Who can help me?

I am a beginer too with GULP and still trying to install the windows version but it does not work and I really need help!

I am a beginer too with GULP and still trying to install the windows version but it does not work and I really need help!

1. What is GULP-General Utility Lattice Program?

GULP is a computer program used for performing molecular dynamics simulations on materials. It is primarily used to study the mechanical, thermal, and structural properties of materials at the atomic level.

2. What are the main features of GULP?

GULP offers a wide range of features, including the ability to handle different types of interatomic potentials, perform Monte Carlo simulations, and calculate various properties such as energies, forces, and stresses. It also has a user-friendly interface and can be easily integrated with other software packages.

3. What types of materials can be studied with GULP?

GULP is capable of simulating a variety of materials, including inorganic solids, organic molecules, and biomolecules. It can also handle systems with defects, surfaces, and interfaces.

4. How does GULP compare to other molecular dynamics simulation software?

GULP is a powerful and versatile program that is widely used in the scientific community. It is known for its speed and accuracy, as well as its ability to handle complex systems. However, it may not be suitable for beginners due to its steep learning curve.

5. How can I obtain GULP and learn how to use it?

GULP is freely available for academic and non-commercial use. It can be downloaded from the official website and comes with detailed documentation and tutorials to help users get started. Additionally, there are online forums and user groups where users can ask for help and share their experiences with the program.