Electricity and Magnetism Question

In summary: D) Work done assembling a system of charges = k*q1*q2/r.In summary, two charges at A and B have a potential difference of 2kq/L. The work done on a charge due to a potential difference is W=-2kqQ/L.
Davio

Homework Statement

The points A,B,C are the vertices of an equilateral triangle, of side L. Two equal positive charges q are at A and B.

A)Find the electric potential at C assuming V=0 at infinity
B) Give the expression for the work necessary to bring a positive charge Q from infinity to C
C)Write the expression for the work necessary to assemble the system of 3 charges, consisting of two charges q at A and B and a charge Q at C
Consider the system of three charges. By differentiating the elctric potential,determine the electric field E at the midpoint between the two charges q.

Consider now a system of 2 charges, a point charge q>0 at (x,y,z) = (a, 0 , 0) and a point charge -q/2 at (-a,0,0)Show that the quipontential surface V=0. ie. with the same potential than at infinity is a spherical surface. Determine the centre and the radius of the sphere.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, I can do all the homework sheets, but these exam questions are killing me :-(, here's my attempts:#

We have a triangle, with 2 positive charges and one unknown charge.
If the unkown is positive we lose energy and if negative we gain energy.

Possible pairs
q1 q2 q2q3 q1q3 (I've divided by half already)
I assume that we use something simliar to [tex]\int E.da[/tex]= Qinternal/Eo

or we use the superposition principle, and add A and B together. using coloumbs law. E=k qi, q2 / r^2

In the first case, I have no idea.
IN the second case, I think r^2 is just length A and length B so:

E=k. q ^2
A.B
Is this horribly wrong as I believe it is?

For part B.
I use phi=qi over 4 pi Eo Rij

along with W=qphi

to figure out.

U= q1 q2 over 4 pi Eo r12

in which case we have

U= q^2 over 4 pi Eo (2 (sqrt(half c^2 +D^2))

Part C
I have no idea, Do we use the previous formula in some manner?

Part D

du/dr = q1q2/ 4pi Eo r^2

From there, I have no idea, would r be half AB?

Part E
Sorry :-(

So yeah, this is quite shameful really, didn't expect not to be able to do any of this paper's B section!

Physics news on Phys.org
I definently could be wrong as I'm taking physics 2 right now and will have to drop it haha but here's my shot at part A.

Since V=kq/r (assuming V=0 at infinity), and potential difference is a scalar quantity, meaning direction doesn't have to be taken into account, then to find the potential difference at point C, we would just take the [tex]\Sigma[/tex](kq/r) of the two point charges that are a distance L, (because triangle is equilateral), from point C.

Therefore the potential difference at point C--V=2kq/L

Part B W=[tex]\Delta[/tex]KE=-[tex]\Delta[/tex]U

Vq=U
In part A we found out that the potential difference at point C is V=2kq/L

U=(2kq/L)*Q=2kqQ/L

W=-[tex]\Delta[/tex]U=-2kqQ/L

Hi, thanks for replying!
As I do not underestand how to do this question.. I'll wait for others to answer too before taking your answer as legit. It seems to make sense for A, B I'm not so sure about as I copied what I wrote in my answer off a book..
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Bump, anyone?

We have a triangle, with 2 positive charges and one unknown charge.
There is mention of the third charge at C.
A)Find the potential at C due to charges at A and B.
B)Work done on a charge = Q*potential difference.
C) Energy in a system of charges = k*q1*q2/r. So total PE of the system = k(q^2 + 2qQ)/r

What is electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two closely related phenomena that are fundamental to the functioning of our everyday lives. Electricity is the flow of electric charge, typically carried by electrons, through conductive materials. Magnetism is a force that is created by moving electric charges, and it is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of certain materials.

How are electricity and magnetism related?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related because they are both forms of the same physical force, known as electromagnetism. This force is created by the interaction of electric charges and magnetic fields. In other words, electricity can create magnetism, and magnetism can create electricity.

What are some practical applications of electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism have countless practical applications in our daily lives. Some common examples include generating electricity in power plants, powering electronic devices such as computers and phones, and powering motors in appliances and vehicles. Magnetism is also used in many technologies, such as speakers, MRI machines, and credit cards.

What is the relationship between electricity and voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the potential energy difference between two points in an electric circuit. In other words, it is a measure of how much work can be done by electric charges as they flow from one point to another. Electricity is the flow of these charges, and the amount of electricity that flows is directly related to the voltage difference between the two points.

How can electricity and magnetism be harnessed for renewable energy?

Electricity and magnetism are key components in many renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydropower. Solar panels use photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity through the movement of electrons. Wind turbines use the rotation of magnets in a magnetic field to generate electricity. And hydropower plants use the movement of water to turn turbines, which then generate electricity through the principles of magnetism.