Undergraduate or beginning mathematical methods book?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for an introductory mathematical methods book for undergraduate students. The book by Frederick Byron and Robert Fuller is considered good but more suited for graduate level. The popular choice for such a book is Mary Boas, although it is noted that her approach may be imprecise mathematically. However, the book covers a wide range of topics and can also teach some physics.
bjnartowt
"Undergraduate" or "beginning" mathematical methods book?

Hi everyone, I'd like to know your recommendations for an "introductory" mathematical methods book. I have a book by Frederick Byron and Robert Fuller...that's a good book, but it seems suited for the grad level. I'm looking for the "Griffiths" amidst mathematical methods books, if that makes any sense. You know, the "introductory" text that would be used at a junior or senior undergrad level. Is Mary Boas's text one such introductory text?

It's going to help organise my big bibliography of sources I use when typing out my own notes and, in following the advice of a prof. I'm doing research for (yay!), reading *multiple* books on a single topic.

: ) thanks : )

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Mary Boas is by FAR the most popular undergraduate math methods book. I kind of thing that some physicists go a little crazy for it in fact (maybe crazy for her? I don't know) but whatever the case, it's a good book and it has the virtue of covering MANY topics. Reading it will even teach you a good bit of physics.

I warn you that Boas is imprecise mathematically. It assumes that the reader is mathematically naive in the sense that it uses infinitesimal arguments and similar things all the time. On the other hand, Boas is better about it then some people.

This is starting to turn into a rant, but I just want to say that I personally don't mind that sort of thing just so long as the author doesn't pretend that the argument is totally sound.

Anyway, good luck with your project!

1. What topics are typically covered in an undergraduate or beginning mathematical methods book?

Undergraduate or beginning mathematical methods books typically cover topics such as basic algebra, calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and probability and statistics. They may also include introductory topics in geometry, discrete mathematics, and mathematical modeling.

2. Are there any prerequisites for studying from an undergraduate or beginning mathematical methods book?

Most undergraduate or beginning mathematical methods books assume a basic understanding of algebra and geometry. Some may also require knowledge of pre-calculus or introductory calculus concepts.

3. What makes an undergraduate or beginning mathematical methods book different from other math textbooks?

Undergraduate or beginning mathematical methods books are specifically designed for students who are just starting to study higher level mathematics. They usually have a more intuitive and conceptual approach, rather than focusing on rigorous proofs, and may also include real-world applications and examples.

4. Can an undergraduate or beginning mathematical methods book be used for self-study?

Yes, undergraduate or beginning mathematical methods books can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts before attempting to study from one of these books.

5. What are the benefits of studying from an undergraduate or beginning mathematical methods book?

Studying from an undergraduate or beginning mathematical methods book can help students develop essential mathematical skills and critical thinking abilities. It can also provide a solid foundation for further study in advanced mathematics and other related fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.