Full well capacity and dynamic range of CCD

In summary, the conversation discusses the full well capacity and dynamic range of CCD cameras, with a link provided for reference. The speaker asks about the method used to obtain the electron numbers for full well capacity and read noise, with a mention of "rule of thumb methods" being used in their company based on pixel size, clock phases, and electron density of the substrate.
chenhon5
Hi,

I have some question about the full well capacity and dynamic range of the CCD camera. The following link lists some full well capacity and dynamic ragnes of some CCD cameras:
http://www.andor.com/learning/digital_cameras/?docid=321

My question is how they obtain the electron numbers of the "full well capacity e-" and "read noise e-". Do they calculate the full well capacity based on the size of the pixels, or they obtained the full well capacity by measuring the saturation current? How about the read noise? Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about everything you ask, but one thing I do know is that in my company full well capacity is calculated using "rule fo thumb methods" based upon the size of the pixel, number of clock phases and average number of electrons per micron squared of your doped substrate (ie. buried channel).

What is full well capacity?

Full well capacity is the maximum amount of charge that a CCD (charge-coupled device) pixel can hold. It is measured in units of electrons and is determined by the size of the pixel and the material properties of the CCD sensor.

What is the dynamic range of a CCD?

The dynamic range of a CCD is the range of light intensities that the sensor can accurately detect and record. It is typically expressed as the ratio between the maximum and minimum light levels that can be detected by the CCD.

How does full well capacity affect dynamic range?

The full well capacity of a CCD determines the maximum amount of charge that can be stored in each pixel. This, in turn, affects the dynamic range because once a pixel reaches its full well capacity, it can no longer accurately record any additional light. Therefore, a higher full well capacity allows for a wider dynamic range.

What factors can impact the full well capacity and dynamic range of a CCD?

The full well capacity and dynamic range of a CCD can be influenced by several factors, including the size and material of the sensor, the readout noise, and the temperature of the sensor. Additionally, external factors such as exposure time and light intensity can also affect these parameters.

How can the full well capacity and dynamic range of a CCD be improved?

To improve the full well capacity and dynamic range of a CCD, several techniques can be employed. These include using a larger pixel size, optimizing the material properties of the sensor, reducing readout noise, and cooling the sensor to lower temperatures. Ultimately, the best approach will depend on the specific application and requirements.