Capacitance of Right Angle plates

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for finding the capacitance of two plates forming a right angle, including using a computer and completing a lot of work, reading specific papers and books, and using the method of moments.
compton1
I have a question:

I have two plates that form a right angle. How would I go about finding the Capacitance of the two plates?

Physics news on Phys.org
I read that paper before. I really want to read Xiang's paper that the Barrachina paper uses to validate their model with. However, Xiang's paper costs $22 to read.

Hello compton1-
Smythe "Static and Dynamic Electricity" 3rd edition chapter 4 has lots of 2D examples solved by the Schwartz transformation.
Bob S

Another computational approach is the method of moments. Capacitance examples are given in both method of moment texts by Harrington and Walter Gibson.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store an electric charge. It is represented by the symbol C and is measured in units of farads (F).

2. How is capacitance calculated for right angle plates?

The capacitance of right angle plates can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of right angle plates?

The capacitance of right angle plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the material between the plates. It also depends on the dielectric constant of the material between the plates.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the capacitance?

The capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance increases, the capacitance decreases and vice versa. This is because a larger distance between the plates results in a weaker electric field and thus, less charge can be stored.

5. What is the significance of capacitance in electronic circuits?

Capacitance plays a crucial role in electronic circuits as it allows for the storage of electric charge, which is necessary for many circuit components to function. It also helps in smoothing out voltage fluctuations and controlling the flow of current in a circuit.