Perturbative Treatment on Diatomic Hydrogen Molecule

In summary, the hydrogen molecule and hydrogen molecule ion problems are solved in a book by Pauling and Wilson.
aeracer
Hello Everyone! I need help on this topic. Can anyone provide me some details on how to solve the problem? Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
As I recall, the hydrogen molecule (and maybe also the hydrogen molecular ion) problems are solved in the quantum mechanics book by Pauling and Wilson.
Bob S

[added] Pauling and Wilson, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, Mcgraw Hill (1935). See the following pages
Hydrogen molecule, page 340
Excited states of hydrogen molecule, page 353
Hydrogen molecule ion, page 327

Last edited:
As an aside, the best method (as in - most accurate for the computational complexity) is the now seldom-seen Hylleraas variational approach (applied to helium in 1929), which works for two electrons but not that well for many more. The method was used to calculate hydrogen http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=JCPSA6000001000012000825000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes" , with a result that was far better than perturbatory calculations could do at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
alxm said:
Hey thanks for the link. I think the file has the information i need. Unfortunately i don't have an access to download the file. =) Just in case you have another link to that file perhaps you can post it. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob S said:
As I recall, the hydrogen molecule (and maybe also the hydrogen molecular ion) problems are solved in the quantum mechanics book by Pauling and Wilson.
Bob S

[added] Pauling and Wilson, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, Mcgraw Hill (1935). See the following pages
Hydrogen molecule, page 340
Excited states of hydrogen molecule, page 353
Hydrogen molecule ion, page 327
Thanks! I just borrowed that book and I will read it. I'll try to understand the book. I will post some questions just in case I can't understand some parts of it. =) Thanks again. Just in case you have any other info about the topic, please feel free to post it because it would really be a great help. =)

1. What is perturbative treatment on diatomic hydrogen molecule?

Perturbative treatment on diatomic hydrogen molecule is a method used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy levels and properties of a diatomic hydrogen molecule. It involves treating the interaction between the two atoms as a small perturbation to the energy of the individual atoms.

2. Why is perturbative treatment used for diatomic hydrogen molecules?

Perturbative treatment is used for diatomic hydrogen molecules because the interaction between the two atoms is relatively weak compared to the energy of the individual atoms. This allows for an accurate calculation of the energy levels and properties by treating the interaction as a small perturbation.

3. What are the limitations of perturbative treatment on diatomic hydrogen molecules?

One limitation of perturbative treatment is that it only works well for small perturbations. If the interaction between the two atoms is strong, the method may not yield accurate results. Additionally, the method may become more complex and difficult to use for larger molecules.

4. How is perturbative treatment carried out for diatomic hydrogen molecules?

Perturbative treatment involves breaking down the Hamiltonian (the mathematical representation of the energy of the system) into two parts - the unperturbed Hamiltonian for the individual atoms and the perturbation term for the interaction between the atoms. These two parts are then used to calculate the energy levels and properties of the molecule through a series of approximations.

5. What are the applications of perturbative treatment for diatomic hydrogen molecules?

Perturbative treatment is commonly used in molecular spectroscopy, where it allows for the accurate prediction of the energy levels and properties of diatomic hydrogen molecules. It is also used in the study of chemical reactions and in the development of new materials with specific properties.