Prof's Bonus Question for XRay Diffraction

In summary, the conversation discusses a bonus question in an assignment for a materials course, which involves calculating the value of an angle phi using the Bragg reflection equation. The solution involves finding the ratio between two integer values and using it to determine possible values for phi, which are then verified by plugging them into the equation.
NeedPhysHelp8

Homework Statement

Hi guys, so here's a bonus question on my assignment for materials course.

" A metallic crystal is irradiated with Xrays of a fixed wavelength. Bragg reflection is observed at angles of 23 and 73.5 degrees, as well as another angle phi which is intermediate between the above two values. Assuming the same set of crystal planes (separation d) are responsible for scattering in all three cases, calculate a possible value of phi in degrees. Are there other possible values for phi apart from the value that you found?

Homework Equations

[tex]
2dsin(\theta)= m \lambda
[/tex]
i think this is the only equation we need for Bragg peaks because we didn't learn anything else

The Attempt at a Solution

k so i figured if the wavelenth, distance are constant then only m and [tex] \theta [/tex] are changing so i got:

[tex]
m1 = 2dsin23/ \lambda = 0.781 d/ \lamda
[/tex] and
[tex] m2= 2dsin73.5/ \lambda = 1.918 d/ \lambda
[/tex]

I have absolutely no clue how to go from here? any help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The complete solution was deleted (it's not allowed). So if you didn't see it:

You can get [tex] m_1 / m_2 [/tex] from the two last equations.
Then you should select a pair of integers which fit this ratio.
Any integer number between them will give you [tex] \varphi [/tex].

Ok thanks i'll give that a try, and no I didn't see the complete solution. I'll report back when I get it

so here's what i got:

[tex]
\frac{m_{1}}{m_{2}} = 0.407
[/tex]
from here I concluded that that ratio is approximately [tex] m_{1} = 2 [/tex] and [tex] m_{2} = 5 [/tex]
so the possible values for [tex] m_{\phi}= [/tex] 3 and 4
Then using [tex] m_{1}=2 [/tex] I plugged that back into first equation above and got [tex] \frac{d}{\lambda} = 2.56 [/tex] so [tex] \frac{\lambda}{d} = 0.391 [/tex]
So using [tex] m_{\phi}= 3[/tex] I got [tex] \phi = 35.9 [/tex] and using [tex] m_{\phi}= 4[/tex] I got [tex] \phi = 51.4 [/tex]
And these values work great! Thanks alot

1. What is the purpose of "Prof's Bonus Question for XRay Diffraction"?

The purpose of "Prof's Bonus Question for XRay Diffraction" is to test the understanding and knowledge of students in the field of X-ray diffraction and its applications in various scientific disciplines.

2. Is this bonus question related to a specific course or subject?

Yes, this bonus question is related to X-ray diffraction, which is a technique commonly used in fields such as materials science, chemistry, physics, and geology.

3. What topics should I study to prepare for "Prof's Bonus Question for XRay Diffraction"?

To prepare for "Prof's Bonus Question for XRay Diffraction", it is important to have a strong understanding of crystal structure, diffraction principles, and the different types of X-ray diffraction techniques. Additionally, knowledge of related topics such as material properties and symmetry can also be helpful.

4. How can I approach answering "Prof's Bonus Question for XRay Diffraction"?

One approach to answering "Prof's Bonus Question for XRay Diffraction" is to carefully read and understand the question, and then apply relevant concepts and techniques learned in class. It is also important to show clear and logical reasoning in your answer.

5. Can I use outside resources to help me answer "Prof's Bonus Question for XRay Diffraction"?

While it is important to understand and apply concepts on your own, you can also use outside resources such as textbooks, lecture notes, and online sources to aid in your answer. However, make sure to properly cite any sources used and to not rely solely on them for your answer.