Gibbs Free Energy: Queries & Answers

In summary, Gibbs free energy is a driving force for chemical and physical changes. At equilibrium, the value of G is minimum, meaning neither the forward nor reverse reaction proceeds to completion. This is because no driving force is provided. When Gibbs free energy is positive, it indicates a non-spontaneous forward reaction, but it can still occur by increasing the temperature, which increases the T\DeltaS factor in the equation. The equilibrium can be viewed as a compromise between two opposing tendencies of the system: attaining minimum energy and maximum molecular chaos.
luysion
Hi, I've recently started studying chemistry and have being going over gibbs free energy.. I understand it is a driving force causing chemical and physical changes but during my course of reading I did have some queries stem to mind.

1) In relation to equilibrium why is it that a reaction occurs such that G is minimum ? I.e. i read that the reason neither the forward nor reverse reaction proceeds to completion during equilibrium is because Gibbs Free Energy is at a minimum. Is this due to no driving force being provided?

2) When gibbs free energy is positive it indicates the forward reaction (e.g. A --> B) is non-spontaneous why does it still occur? I read something about the reaction still proceeds but the pressure of the product does not read 10^5 P i.e. standard pressure?
im really confused on this bit can somone please simplify this

cheers for any help

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Equilibrium can be viewed as compromise between two opposing tendency of the system:
1. to attain minimum energy (enthalpy)
2. of maximum molecular chaos (entropy)
remember this equation,
[tex]\Delta[/tex]G=[tex]\Delta[/tex]H-T[tex]\Delta[/tex]S
where [tex]\Delta[/tex]H is the enthalpy change, [tex]\Delta[/tex]S is the entropy change, and T is the temperature
A higher value of T[tex]\Delta[/tex]S signifies greater spontaneity. So as this parameter increases, [tex]\Delta[/tex]G becomes smaller and smaller. For Gibbs energy we hav, -[tex]\Delta[/tex]G[tex]\geq[/tex]0. At equilibrium, the two tendencies mentioned above are equal. So, [tex]\Delta[/tex]H=T[tex]\Delta[/tex]S; & [tex]\Delta[/tex]G=0.
To make a reaction with positive Gibbs energy occur, you just increase the temperature, that will increase the T[tex]\Delta[/tex]S factor in the equation.

Last edited:

1. What is Gibbs Free Energy?

Gibbs Free Energy, also known as Gibbs function, is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the maximum amount of reversible work that can be performed by a thermodynamic system at constant temperature and pressure. It is typically denoted by the symbol G and is named after the American scientist Josiah Willard Gibbs.

2. How is Gibbs Free Energy calculated?

Gibbs Free Energy is calculated using the equation: G = H - TS, where G is the Gibbs Free Energy, H is the enthalpy, T is the temperature, and S is the entropy. It can also be calculated using the equation: G = U + PV - TS, where U is the internal energy and PV is the product of pressure and volume.

3. What is the significance of Gibbs Free Energy in chemistry?

In chemistry, Gibbs Free Energy is used to determine whether a chemical reaction is spontaneous or non-spontaneous. If the Gibbs Free Energy is negative, the reaction is spontaneous and will occur without the need for external energy. If the Gibbs Free Energy is positive, the reaction is non-spontaneous and will require external energy to occur.

4. Can Gibbs Free Energy be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

Yes, the sign of the Gibbs Free Energy can be used to predict the direction of a chemical reaction. A negative value indicates a spontaneous reaction in the forward direction, while a positive value indicates a non-spontaneous reaction in the reverse direction. A value of zero indicates that the reaction is at equilibrium.

5. Does temperature affect the Gibbs Free Energy of a system?

Yes, temperature does affect the Gibbs Free Energy of a system. As the temperature increases, the amount of available energy increases, causing a decrease in the Gibbs Free Energy. This means that a reaction that may be non-spontaneous at lower temperatures could become spontaneous at higher temperatures due to the increase in available energy.