Max wavelength of CMB radiation

In summary, the textbook says that the wavelength of the CMB radiation at it's maximum intensity is 1.1 cm, but when I tried to find the max wavelength using given data for other temperatures it came out as roughly 1mm not 1cm.
Magma828
I'm doing OCR A-Level Physics, and in my textbook it states "They (Penzias and Wilson) made a calculation to find the temperature of the source of the radio waves, which had a maximum intensity at wavelength 1.1 cm, and found it to be 2.7K".

This was all good and well, until I answered a question in the book which asked me to find the max wavelength of a body with temperature 2.7K using given data for other temperatures, and it came out as roughly 1mm not 1cm. The book has no answer to the question, so now I'm confused as to what the actual value is for the wavelength of the CMB radiation at it's maximum intensity.

I double checked my workings over and over, and I'm sure I've done it correctly. Either the data they gave in the question is wrong, or their original statement of the wavelength is wrong...

Space news on Phys.org
If we use the rough energy/temperature relationship:

[tex]E \approx k_B T[/tex]

And we know the energy of a photon is related to wavelength as so:

[tex]E=\frac{h c} {\lambda}[/tex]

Then combining these two formula we get:

[tex]\lambda \approx \frac{h c} {k_B T}[/tex]

Plugging in for [tex]T=2.7K[/tex]

That gives us [tex]\lambda \approx 5.27 \times 10^{-3}[/tex] meters.

Which is is millimeters and not centimeters.

So it looks like your notes were incorrect and your working out was right :-)

Hope this helps.

Disagree with the above.

Wien's displacement law is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien's_displacement_law)

[tex]\lambda_{\textnormal{max}} \approx \frac{hc}{5kT}[/tex]

If you include this factor of 5, then you get 10^-3 m for [itex]\lambda[/itex, or 1mm.

I purposely indicated that mine was a rough calculation only.

I agree that for the exact wavelength then Wien's law is the correct one to use.

Ahh okay thanks a lot guys! :D

What is the maximum wavelength of CMB radiation?

The maximum wavelength of CMB radiation is about 1.9 millimeters. This corresponds to a frequency of around 160 gigahertz.

Why is the maximum wavelength of CMB radiation important?

The maximum wavelength of CMB radiation is important because it provides insight into the age and evolution of the universe. It is also an important factor in understanding the properties of the early universe and the formation of structures within it.

How is the maximum wavelength of CMB radiation measured?

The maximum wavelength of CMB radiation is typically measured through observations using telescopes and other instruments specifically designed to detect and analyze the CMB. These observations can then be analyzed using various mathematical and statistical methods to determine the maximum wavelength.

What factors affect the maximum wavelength of CMB radiation?

The maximum wavelength of CMB radiation is primarily affected by the age of the universe and the expansion rate of the universe. As the universe expands, the maximum wavelength of CMB radiation increases.

Can the maximum wavelength of CMB radiation change over time?

Yes, the maximum wavelength of CMB radiation can change over time as the universe continues to expand. This means that the maximum wavelength observed today may be different from what was observed in the past, and may also be different in the future.