Failed midsem EM exam, to drop or not to drop?

In summary, the first part of the course was mainly about transmission line's, using the Smith chart and a host of equations that comes with transmission lines...we had a mid semester exam and i got 13/30, which i wasn't happy about but i didn't put in as much study time as i should have so i wasn't surprised. Now I'm wondering whether i should drop the course? The second part is now focusing on Maxwell's equations, so we're getting into the actual electromagnetic fields and waves part of the course, which I'm finding kinda tricky but I'm able to grasp it if i put in extra time to study the material. However i know of one guy who did the course last year, he also failed the mid
chebyshevF
I'm doing an electromagnetic fields and waves course. The first part of the course was mainly about transmission line's, using the Smith chart and a host of equations that comes with transmission lines...we had a mid semester exam and i got 13/30, which i wasn't happy about but i didn't put in as much study time as i should have so i wasn't surprised. Now I'm wondering whether i should drop the course?

The second part is now focusing on Maxwell's equations, so we're getting into the actual electromagnetic fields and waves part of the course, which I'm finding kinda tricky but I'm able to grasp it if i put in extra time to study the material. However i know of one guy who did the course last year, he also failed the mid semester exam and ended up failing the course all together, I'm kinda worried that i'll end up in that position since I've also heard of other people who have failed the course. So this leads me to the whole point of my post, should i drop this subject? Better not to take the risk? Or get myself into it more vigorously and make sure i pass the final exam (which is out of 60% btw, and our tutes correspond to 10%, which i know i'll get).

I'd like to take an antenna related course after this one, so i kinda do need to stay in it but i still don't know if i should take the 'risk'. Plus the other thing is, is that I would have liked to get a high grade for this course..it's still possible i guess, so long as i study extra hard for the final exam..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
...but i didn't put in as much study time as i should have so i wasn't surprised.
If you didn't put as much study time in as you thought you needed, why are you concerned about the whole course? I assume you don't plan on repeating this again.

I'm not trying to be smart, I just think that if you knew that you could have used more studying, you will also know that for future exams. Just study well enough (like you should have for this exam) next time. And as for someone failing the midterm as well as the course, why are you surprised? That a very general occurrence for any class.

You sound like you know what you need to do to pass this course. Just do it and you'll be fine.

Dropping an essential course doesn't seem like a great idea. How can you give up so easily? Are you serious about your education or are you just going through the motions?

wclawson said:
If you didn't put as much study time in as you thought you needed, why are you concerned about the whole course? I assume you don't plan on repeating this again.

I'm not trying to be smart, I just think that if you knew that you could have used more studying, you will also know that for future exams. Just study well enough (like you should have for this exam) next time. And as for someone failing the midterm as well as the course, why are you surprised? That a very general occurrence for any class.

You sound like you know what you need to do to pass this course. Just do it and you'll be fine.
That's it though..I know I'll have to do extra work for the final exam for this course, yet I also want to make sure I get a high grade, not just a 'pass'.

Phyisab**** said:
Dropping an essential course doesn't seem like a great idea. How can you give up so easily? Are you serious about your education or are you just going through the motions?
It's not a matter of giving up easily, rather just either taking the 'risk' or not. I've got other things going on for me at the moment too (working part time being one of them), so I'm just trying to weigh it all out, whether I'm better off sticking to it now and (most likely) passing, or doing it another semester and most likely getting a higher grade. It's actually an elective though, but one I want to successfully complete.

Own the living hell out of the final, that's all you can do. If you don't think you can do that, then you should drop.

^^haha I like that response ;)
Thanks for the advice though people! I have til next wednesday to decide so i'll see how i go.

1. Should I drop the failed midsem EM exam?

It ultimately depends on your specific situation and the policies of your institution. It may be beneficial to drop the exam if you have the opportunity to retake it and improve your grade, or if dropping it will not significantly affect your overall grade in the course. However, if dropping the exam will result in you having to repeat the entire course, it may be better to keep the failing grade and try to improve in the remaining assessments.

2. How will dropping the exam affect my GPA?

Again, this will vary based on your institution's policies. In some cases, a dropped exam may not affect your GPA at all. However, if your institution calculates GPA based on all attempted courses, dropping the exam may have a negative impact. It is important to check with your academic advisor or institution for specific information.

3. Can I retake the exam if I drop it?

In most cases, yes. However, some institutions may have restrictions on how many times you can retake a course or exam. It is important to check with your institution for their policies on retaking exams. Additionally, it may be beneficial to review your study habits and seek help from a tutor or professor before retaking the exam.

4. Will dropping the exam affect my financial aid or scholarships?

This may vary based on your specific financial aid or scholarship requirements. Some may have a minimum GPA requirement, in which case dropping the exam may impact your eligibility. It is important to check with your financial aid office or scholarship provider for more information.

5. How will dropping the exam affect my transcript?

Typically, dropped exams will not appear on your transcript. However, some institutions may have a notation or code for dropped courses. It is important to check with your institution for their policies on transcripts and dropped courses.