Not sure what I should major in when I get to college.

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is considering whether to enroll in mechanical engineering or try a different field due to their interest in physics and mathematics, but fear of the difficulty of the subject. The expert suggests sticking with mechanical engineering and using mental resistance to overcome challenges, or possibly switching to a math degree. They also encourage not giving up easily and waiting to see the curriculum before making a decision.
burkie.31
I really like physics and mathematics but Physics is hard at times and Math can be a breeze. I got into college to major in Mechanical engineering but i fear the level of psychics I will encounter will scare me garbageless and I would hate to know I wasted a year trying something I know I probably won't be good @.

Should I enroll in mechanical engineering or try something new. Btw I was always involved in science subjects. Hated chemistry though. I had economic in mind but I would have to start all over because I have no business knowledge.

Physics news on Phys.org
EE + econ minor!

EE? What's that?:confused:

burkie.31 said:
I really like physics and mathematics but Physics is hard at times and Math can be a breeze. I got into college to major in Mechanical engineering but i fear the level of psychics I will encounter will scare me garbageless and I would hate to know I wasted a year trying something I know I probably won't be good @.

Should I enroll in mechanical engineering or try something new. Btw I was always involved in science subjects. Hated chemistry though. I had economic in mind but I would have to start all over because I have no business knowledge.

I'm not even sure what you're asking. Physics, just like Math, Mechanical engineering, or any other subject can be very hard "at times." If you are not challenged to the point of despair in your mechanical engineering curriculum, it's probably not a very good program (seriously!).

If you "really like" physics and don't "really like" mechanical engineering, I don't know why you'd do mechanical engineering. Neither is a cake walk.

'I got into college to major in Mechanical engineering but i fear the level of psychics ..'

I suggest spending your attribute points in attributes that provide mental resistance, eg, wisdom or intelligence. Counter-spell scrolls can also do the trick, be sure to buy some from the shop after adventuring.

burkie.31 said:
EE? What's that?:confused:

EE = electrical engineering.

I haven't started college yet, I have until spring semester. I know neither is a cake walk but I just wanted some insight about whether or not I should take on Mechanical Engineering. Think I'll just wait until I see what the curriculum is like and decide from then. Thanks though

If you like math so much, just go get a math degree.

Don't bail so easily. Sounds like you haven't had any college classes yet, much less engineering. When I enrolled in Mechanical Engineering, I remember freaking out when I looked in the course catalog at all the classes I needed to take. I had no idea what the names of the courses even meant! Fortunately, everything is a progression and by the time I got to the Jr. level class I most feared, it was relatively easy because of the previous classes in the curriculum.

You picked your course of study for a reason. Stick it out until you encounter a tangible reason to change. Chances are you won't.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, it's important to consider your interests, skills, and future career goals. Think about what subjects you enjoy learning about and what type of work you can see yourself doing in the future. You should also consider the job market and potential salary for different majors.

2. How do I decide between a practical major and one that aligns with my passions?

This can be a difficult decision, but it's important to find a balance between practicality and passion. You can research potential career paths for both types of majors and see which one aligns better with your long-term goals. You can also consider double majoring or minoring in a subject that aligns with your passions while still pursuing a more practical major.

3. What if I'm interested in multiple subjects and can't decide on just one major?

Many students have multiple interests and struggle to choose just one major. In this case, you can consider a major that allows for interdisciplinary studies or explore minors and electives in the subjects you're interested in. You can also speak with an academic advisor for guidance on how to structure your coursework.

4. Will my major determine my career path?

While your major can certainly influence your career path, it's not the only determining factor. Many students end up pursuing careers that are not directly related to their major, and that's completely normal. It's more important to gain transferable skills and experience during your college years that can be applied to a variety of industries.

5. Can I change my major once I've started college?

Yes, you can change your major at any point during your college career. It's common for students to change their major after their first year or even later on. However, keep in mind that switching majors may require additional coursework and could potentially delay your graduation. It's important to carefully consider your decision and consult with an academic advisor before making any changes.