How Does Ampere's Law Calculate Current in a Uniform Magnetic Field?

In summary, using Ampere's law and the given values, the magnitude of the conventional current enclosed by the circular path is approximately 3.19 x 10^4 A. However, this answer may be incorrect if the wrong value for the vacuum permeability constant is used.
ineedhelp5454

Homework Statement

Along a circular path the magnetic field is measured and is found to be uniform in magnitude and always tangent to the circular path.
If the radius of the path is 0.03 m and B along the path is 1.4e-06 T, use Ampere's law to calculate the magnitude of the conventional current enclosed by the path.

Homework Equations

ampere's law -- integral(B*dl) = mu I

The Attempt at a Solution

i keep getting 3.19e4 A

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ineedhelp5454,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
ineedhelp5454 said:
i keep getting 3.19e4 A
My answer is different by 5 or so orders of magnitude.

Show us your steps and maybe we can help figure out what's going on.

1.5e-6 * 2 * pi * .03 = 2.87e-7 (left half of ampere's equation)
2.87e-7 = 8.85e-12(mu) * I (right half)
I = 3.19e4

ineedhelp5454 said:
1.5e-6 * 2 * pi * .03 = 2.87e-7 (left half of ampere's equation)
Is the magnitude of B 1.5 x 10-6 or 1.4 x 10-6 T?
2.87e-7 = 8.85e-12(mu) * I (right half)
I = 3.19e4
You're using the vacuum permittivity constant ε0 = 8.854 x 10-12 F/m, but you need to use the vacuum permeability constant μ0= 4π x 10-7 H/m.

They're not the same thing, but they are related. The speed of light in a vacuum [itex] c = 1/\sqrt{\epsilon_0\mu_0} [/itex]

thanks!

1. What is Ampere's law?

Ampere's law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It states that the integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through the loop multiplied by the permeability of free space.

2. How is Ampere's law used in practical applications?

Ampere's law is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators, electromagnetic sensors, and in the development of new technologies such as magnetic levitation trains. It is also used in the analysis and design of electrical circuits and in the study of Earth's magnetic field.

3. What is the relationship between current and magnetic field according to Ampere's law?

Ampere's law states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is directly proportional to the current passing through that loop. This means that increasing the current will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing the current will result in a weaker magnetic field.

4. Can Ampere's law be applied to any type of current?

Ampere's law can be applied to any type of steady current, including direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). However, it does not hold true for transient currents, which are currents that change over time.

5. How is Ampere's law related to Gauss's law?

Ampere's law and Gauss's law are both fundamental laws in electromagnetism. While Ampere's law relates the magnetic field to the current, Gauss's law relates the electric field to the electric charge. Together, these laws form the basis for understanding the relationship between electricity and magnetism.