A surface with variable stickyness electrically controlled

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a stick/no stick panel that can be used in a clothes dryer to capture unwanted materials such as hair and lint. The suggestion is to use a surface coating of nano-particles with electrostatic properties that can be activated by applying or removing electrical current, allowing for an adjustable stickiness. The idea is not limited to just clothes dryers and could potentially have various applications.
distar97
Anyone that has ever used a clothes dryer has noticed how some fabrics refuse to shed unwanted matter such as hair and lint, which leads to one looking for the lint brush or a sticky tape roller.

Something occurred to me. What if the inner surface of the rotating drum had a section, with the ability to go from non-sticky to sticky depending on the application of electrical current, thereby capturing unwanted material.

Imagine a panel, whatever size is needed, that feels like any other common surface. Apply some current and it becomes sticky enough to grab and hold hair and lint.

I'm not thinking of an ordinary electrostatic device but a surface that demonstrates real stickiness, akin to masking tape.

While I first pictured this in my clothes dryer, I believe a stick/no stick panel would be something that would rely on a fundamental property that must have been explored by any number of researchers.

Any ideas on this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd love to hear what others think.One idea would be to use a surface coating of nano-particles or similar that have been engineered to have electrostatic properties. When a current is applied, it would cause the particles to expand and create a sticky surface. When the current is removed, the particles would contract and the surface would become non-sticky again. This could be a simple and effective way to create an adjustable stickiness on any surface.

1. What is a surface with variable stickiness electrically controlled?

A surface with variable stickiness electrically controlled is a material that has the ability to change its level of stickiness or adhesion based on an electrical signal. This means that the surface can become more or less sticky depending on the amount of electricity applied to it.

2. How does a surface with variable stickiness electrically controlled work?

The surface is coated with a layer of conductive material, such as a thin film of metal. When an electrical current is applied to the surface, it creates an electric field that alters the surface's stickiness. This is achieved through the use of special polymers that have unique adhesive properties that can be controlled by an electrical field.

3. What are the potential applications for a surface with variable stickiness electrically controlled?

A surface with variable stickiness electrically controlled has a wide range of potential applications. It can be used in packaging materials to create resealable packages, in robotics to create grippers with adjustable levels of adhesion, and in medical devices to create temporary adhesives for wound closure or drug delivery systems.

4. What are the benefits of using a surface with variable stickiness electrically controlled?

One of the main benefits of using a surface with variable stickiness electrically controlled is its ability to provide precise control over adhesion. This can be advantageous in situations where a standard level of stickiness may not be suitable, such as in medical procedures or industrial applications where different materials need to be adhered together with varying levels of strength.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a surface with variable stickiness electrically controlled?

One potential drawback is the cost of incorporating this technology into products. The materials and processes used to create a surface with variable stickiness electrically controlled can be more expensive than traditional adhesives. Additionally, there may be concerns about the long-term durability and reliability of the surface, as it relies on an electrical current to function.