Calculating Distance Using Spring Constants: 20-Minute Crash Course

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating distance using spring constant, mass, and velocity, as well as tips for studying these concepts in a short amount of time. The specific example involved a high impact crash helmet with a 5.0kg steel ball being dropped onto it at a velocity of 0.85m/s. The spring constant of the helmet padding was given as 35kN/m. The conversation also included a question about finding the spring constant from a given force and displacement. Tips for studying included understanding the basic concepts, working through practice problems, and reviewing examples of how these concepts interact with each other.
grbmrdj
Calculating distance using spring constant, mass and velocity? (Really basic stuff!)

Hi I have a physics exam tomorrow, and I just realized we haven't covered either impulse or spring constants, and about 1 1/2 hours left to study. From a practice exam, please someone help me out?

Homework Statement

A high impact crash helmet is glued onto a floor and a 5.0kg steel ball is dropped from a certain height in the helmet padding. The ball hits the helmet padding at 0.85m/s. The spring constant of the padding amterial is 35kN/m.

Homework Equations

distance = Force/spring constant(k)
Most likely an impulse on as well

The Attempt at a Solution

d=F/k
impulse = mv = 5 x 0.85 = 4.25
d = 4.25 / 35000 = 1.2 x 10^-4

This one is not so important:
Also, in a previous question, they gave a linear graph, at one point, N = 300 and displacement = 0.06 metres. Find the spring constant?

I got
k = f/d = 300/0.06 = 5000 N/m

Is this right? (Couldn't find the answer's to the practice exam)

Also, any tips on learning these in about 20 minutes? Thanks, and sorry for massive post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your answer for the second question is correct. As for learning in 20 minutes, here are some tips: -Make sure you understand the basic concepts of spring constant, force, and impulse. -Try to work through some practice problems to build your confidence. -Review some examples of how force, impulse and spring constant interact with each other. -Focus on understanding the equations and how to apply them to solve problems. -Think about how the different variables (mass, velocity, etc.) relate to each other. -If you still have time, take a few practice tests to get used to the types of questions you might get on your exam.

1. How do I calculate distance using spring constants?

To calculate distance using spring constants, you will need to know the value of the spring constant and the amount of force applied to the spring. The formula for calculating distance is distance = force / spring constant. Plug in the values and solve for distance.

2. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter "k" and is measured in units of force per unit of distance (such as newtons per meter). A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and requires more force to stretch or compress it.

3. How do I determine the value of the spring constant?

The value of the spring constant can be determined by conducting an experiment where you measure the amount of force needed to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. The spring constant is then calculated by dividing the force by the distance.

4. Can I use this method for any type of spring?

This method can be used for any type of spring as long as the spring constant is known. However, the value of the spring constant may vary depending on the type of spring and its material.

5. Is there an easier way to calculate distance using spring constants?

There are other methods that can be used to calculate distance using spring constants, such as using Hooke's law or using a graph to determine the relationship between force and distance. However, the formula distance = force / spring constant is a simple and effective way to calculate distance in most cases.