Going from industry to grad school

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits and drawbacks of going straight to work after graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering. The individual is considering whether spending a few years in industry will give them any credentials for getting into a good graduate school, or if schools only consider academic achievements such as GPA, undergraduate research, and professor recommendations. It is noted that it ultimately depends on the individual's goals and interests, as a degree in engineering can provide a solid foundation for future opportunities. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the flexibility and practical knowledge gained through work experience in addition to academic achievements.
NanjoeBot
Hi, I am a Junior in ChE and I currently plan to go straight to work after graduating. I do however hope to one day earn at least a masters degrees, (perhaps a PhD if I am up for it)

My question is, does spending a few years working in industry give you any credentials for getting into a good graduate school? Or do schools only look at academic achievements such as GPA, student involvement undergrad research, prof recomendations etc. ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you might expect, it depends on the school and what you did in industry. Overall, it's close to neutral. The pluses for the grad school are that they are getting a student who is a bit more mature - more committed and dependable. You will also come into grad school with practical knowledge and experience working collaboratively, which is also valuable. The concern will be over how much you might remember about the more theoretical aspects of what you learned in school.

You will also find that (with a few exceptions, such as academia or the research arms of large corporations) after you've been working in industry for 3 or 4 years, employers care much more about your work experience than your degree(s).

It ultimately depends on what you want to do with your life. I think you'll find, as I have, that your chemical engineering education will be extremely flexible, enabling you to learn new areas easily, which is an important part of long term job security.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. I think you are right. I'm just having a tough time deciding if I should go to grad school or not. I am really passionate about science and used to be on the grad school path. Now however, I have so many goals and interests outside of academia that I have decided to put off grad school. I suppose a BS alone in engineering is solid enough to move on with life without regrets.

1. What are the benefits of going from industry to grad school?

There are several potential benefits of transitioning from industry to grad school, including gaining advanced knowledge and skills in your field, expanding your career opportunities, and potentially increasing your earning potential. Grad school can also provide a more research-focused and intellectually stimulating environment compared to industry jobs.

2. Can I go to grad school if I have been out of school for a while?

Yes, it is possible to go to grad school after being out of school for a period of time. Many universities offer programs specifically designed for working professionals or those who have been out of school for a while. Additionally, your work experience may actually strengthen your application and make you a more competitive candidate.

3. How does the application process for grad school differ from applying to industry jobs?

The application process for grad school typically involves submitting transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement or essay. It is more focused on academic achievements and potential for research rather than work experience and specific skills. Additionally, the timeline and requirements may vary depending on the program and university, so it is important to research and plan accordingly.

4. Will my industry experience be relevant in a grad school program?

Your industry experience may be relevant in certain aspects of a grad school program, particularly if you are pursuing a degree in a related field. Your work experience may also provide you with valuable skills and knowledge that can contribute to your success in graduate studies. However, keep in mind that grad school is a different environment and may require you to adapt and learn new skills.

5. What challenges can I expect when transitioning from industry to grad school?

Transitioning from industry to grad school can present various challenges, such as adjusting to a more academic and research-oriented environment, managing time and workload, and potentially facing financial constraints. Additionally, you may need to adapt to a different learning style and build new relationships with professors and classmates. However, with proper preparation and a positive attitude, these challenges can be overcome and lead to a rewarding experience.