Speed of sound with temperature gradient

In summary, the student is asking for help in determining the height of a mountain based on the speed of sound and known data of time delay, height, and temperature. They have attempted to use an integral but are unsure how to solve it. Another user on Physics Forums suggests using a known function to find the integral and possibly the inverse function to determine the height of the mountain. They also mention the potential dependence of the speed of sound on air pressure as it goes up the mountain.
lukas123
Hi,
could you please help me with my homework? I want to determine the height of mountain (from foot to peak) using the speed of sound.

Homework Statement

Known data: time delay, height1, temp1 plus known dependence between the height and temperature.
What I want to determine: height2, temp2, speed of sound cmin and cmax

Homework Equations

I used article on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to make some kind of integral from height1 to height2, but I failed, because I don't know the height2 (top height).
Could you please give me a clue, how to solute it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums, Lukas.
I played with your interesting problem for a while and came up with these thoughts. You have known dependence between height and temperature and velocity, so there is some known function V(h) that gives the velocity as a function of height. Considering a bit of height dh, the time to travel that distance would be dt = dh/V(h). Assuming this could be integrated,
t = integral (h1 to h2) of dh/V(h) = f(h2) - f(h1)
where f is the integral of dh/V(h) and could be found.
So f(h2) = t + f(h1).
If the known function f can be inverted to F, you have
h2 = F[t + f(h1)]
I don't know if this is useful; it depends on being able to integrate 1/V and being able to find the inverse function of the result.

I also wonder about the dependence of the speed of sound on air pressure as it goes up the mountain.

What is the speed of sound with temperature gradient?

The speed of sound with temperature gradient refers to the change in the speed of sound as it travels through air with varying temperatures. As the temperature of air increases, the speed of sound also increases.

How does temperature affect the speed of sound?

Temperature affects the speed of sound because sound waves travel faster in warmer air. This is because warmer air molecules have more energy and can vibrate faster, allowing sound waves to travel at a faster speed.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of sound with temperature gradient?

The formula for calculating the speed of sound with temperature gradient is c = √(γRT), where c is the speed of sound, γ is the ratio of specific heats, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What is the relationship between temperature gradient and the speed of sound?

The relationship between temperature gradient and the speed of sound is directly proportional. This means that as the temperature gradient increases, the speed of sound also increases.

How is the speed of sound with temperature gradient measured?

The speed of sound with temperature gradient can be measured using specialized equipment such as a sonic anemometer or a hot-wire anemometer. These instruments measure the speed of sound by detecting changes in air temperature and pressure caused by sound waves.