Find standard matrix of linear transformation satisfying conditions

In summary, to find the standard matrix for the linear transformation T: R^3-->R^3, we can construct an augmented matrix using the given vectors and row reduce it. Then, we can write the standard vectors as linear combinations of the given vectors and use this to find the values for T of the standard vectors. These values can then be used to construct the standard matrix.
oracle104

Homework Statement

Find the standard matrix for the linear transformation T: R^3-->R^3 satisfying:
T([1 2 2]) = [1 0 -1], T([-1 -4 -5]) = [0 1 1], T([1 5 7]) = [0 2 0]

All of the vectors are columns not rows, I couldn't type them correctly as columns.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried constructing a matrix using the vectors being applied to T and row reducing it. I cannot figure out where to go from there. I assume I need to find T of the standard basic vectors in some way. I believe I can figure it out if I can get a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since [tex]T[/tex] is linear, we know that [tex]T\left(\vec{u} + \vec{v}\right) = T\left(\vec{u}\right) + T\left(\vec{v}\right)[/tex].
Since [tex]T[/tex] is linear, we know that [tex]T\left(c \vec{v}\right) = c T\left(\vec{v}\right)[/tex], for any real scalar c.

You can find the standard vectors as linear combinations of the given vectors by constructing an augmented matrix and row reducing, as you did.

For example:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1&& -1&& 1&& 1&&\\2&& -4&& 5&& 0&&\\ 2&& -5&& 7&& 0&&\end{pmatrix} -> \begin{pmatrix}1&& 0&& 0&& 3&&\\0&& 1&& 0&& 4&&\\ 0&& 0&& 1&& 2&&\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

So we can write [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] as a linear combination of [tex](3)\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix} + (4)\begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ -4 \\ -5 \end{bmatrix} + (2)\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 5 \\ 7 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now we know that:

[tex]T\left(\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}\right) = T\left( (3)\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix} + (4)\begin{bmatrix}-1 \\ -4 \\ -5 \end{bmatrix} + (2)\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 5 \\ 7 \end{bmatrix}\right) = (3)T\left( \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix} \right) + (2)T\left(\begin{bmatrix}-1 \\ -4 \\ -5 \end{bmatrix} \right) + (4)T\left(\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 5 \\ 7 \end{bmatrix} \right)[/tex]

So, what is:

[tex](3)T\left( \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix} \right) + (4)T\left(\begin{bmatrix}-1 \\ -4 \\ -5 \end{bmatrix} \right) + (2)T\left(\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 5 \\ 7 \end{bmatrix} \right)[/tex]

The values for the other standard vectors can be found with a similar process.

Last edited:

1. What is a standard matrix of a linear transformation?

A standard matrix of a linear transformation is a matrix that represents the transformation in a standard basis. It is a square matrix with the same dimensions as the original vector space.

2. How do you find the standard matrix of a linear transformation?

To find the standard matrix of a linear transformation, you need to apply the transformation to the standard basis vectors of the original vector space and write the resulting vectors as columns of a matrix. This matrix is the standard matrix of the linear transformation.

3. What conditions must be satisfied for a linear transformation to have a standard matrix?

A linear transformation must satisfy the conditions of linearity and homogeneity in order to have a standard matrix. This means that the transformation must preserve addition and scalar multiplication.

4. Can there be more than one standard matrix for a linear transformation?

Yes, there can be more than one standard matrix for a linear transformation. This is because the standard matrix depends on the choice of basis for the original vector space. Different choices of basis will result in different standard matrices for the same linear transformation.

5. What is the significance of finding the standard matrix of a linear transformation?

Finding the standard matrix of a linear transformation allows us to easily perform calculations and understand the effect of the transformation on vectors in the original vector space. It also helps us to compare and analyze different linear transformations.