Neumann BVP steady state solution

In summary, the conversation was about finding a steady state solution to a boundary value problem with the equation U_t = u_{xx} - 4U and the boundary conditions u_x (0, t) = 0, u_x (\pi, t) = 1 and u(x, 0) = 4cos(4x). The person was questioning if it was possible to find a steady state solution, given the non-equal boundary value rates of change. The solution method of using separation of variables and eigenfunction expansion was discussed, but the person was unsure if it was the correct approach. The suggestion was made to try using the Laplace transform in t to solve the problem.
bmxicle

Homework Statement

[tex] U_t = u_{xx} - 4U [/tex]
[tex] u_x (0, t) = 0, u_x (\pi, t) = 1 [/tex]
[tex] u(x, 0) = 4cos(4x) [/tex]

Find a steady state solution to the boundary value problem.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm quite comfortable solving dirichlet/ mixed boundary value problems of this form. I was under the impression that you must search for a solution of the form
[tex]u(x,t) = w(x,t) + v(x,t)[/tex] where, [tex] w(x, t) = ax^2 + bx + ct[/tex] Since there cannot be a steady state solution because the boundary value rates of change are not equal, so there cannot be a solution that doesn't change with time.

I have the solution, and it sets [tex]U_t = 0[/tex] and goes about finding the 'steady state' solution and finding the eigenfunctions, but that seems wrong to me because of the reasons mentioned above. So I'm just wondering where my thinking is going wrong and why you can find a steady state solution to a neumann boundary value problem of this type.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about separation of variables, transform methods (Laplace transform in t perhaps) or even Greens functions.

Separation of variables along with eigenfunction expansion are the only methods i have learned for solving PDEs as of yet, so maybe I just haven't learned the proper method for this question.

The solution I have uses separation of variables, but I'm just questioning why you can use separation of variables to find a steady state solution, when it seems to me that one shouldn't exist due to the boundary conditions.

I am pretty sure that taking the Laplace transform in t will solve your problem nicely

1. What is a Neumann boundary value problem (BVP)?

A Neumann BVP is a type of boundary value problem in which the boundary conditions specify the derivative of the solution at the boundaries, rather than the solution itself. This type of BVP is commonly encountered in physics and engineering, where it represents systems with constant flux or heat transfer at the boundaries.

2. What is the steady state solution of a Neumann BVP?

The steady state solution of a Neumann BVP is the solution that does not change with time. It represents the equilibrium state of the system, where the flux or heat transfer at the boundaries is constant and there are no changes in the system over time. This type of solution is important for understanding the long-term behavior of systems.

3. How is a Neumann BVP solved?

A Neumann BVP is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or numerical methods such as finite differences or finite elements. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What are the applications of Neumann BVPs?

Neumann BVPs have many applications in physics and engineering, including heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and diffusion processes. They are also used in other fields such as finance and biology to model various phenomena.

5. How do Neumann BVPs differ from Dirichlet BVPs?

The main difference between Neumann BVPs and Dirichlet BVPs is in the boundary conditions. While Neumann BVPs specify the derivative of the solution at the boundaries, Dirichlet BVPs specify the solution itself. This means that Neumann BVPs are more suitable for problems involving constant flux or heat transfer at the boundaries, while Dirichlet BVPs are more suitable for problems involving fixed values at the boundaries.