Drunk driver reaction time increased stopping distance

In summary, a drunk driver's car will travel approximately 48 feet farther before hitting the brakes compared to a sober driver's car, assuming both cars are initially traveling at 49 miles per hour. This difference was calculated to be approximately 14 meters or 48 feet.
physicsgurl12

Homework Statement

Human reaction times is sometimes worsened by alcohol. How much farther would a drunk driver's car travel before he hits the breaks than a sober drivers car? assume both cars are initially traveling 49 mi/h the sober driver takes .33s to hit the brakes and the drunk driver takes 1s.
a, 53ft
b, 48ft
c, 34ft-this is wrong
d,58 ft

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i just tried it again on paper and i think i found .0091194444miles is the difference. so that would be like 14 meters which is 48 feet. is this what you got. i did 49mi/hr/60/60=.0136mi/s*.33= .0044916667 and subtracted that from .0136 which got me .00911 and then just converted.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me.

What is the relationship between alcohol and reaction time while driving?

Alcohol is a depressant that affects the central nervous system, including the brain. It slows down the brain's ability to process information and make decisions, leading to a slower reaction time while driving.

How does alcohol affect a driver's ability to stop their vehicle?

Alcohol consumption can impair a driver's coordination and motor skills, making it more difficult to control the vehicle and apply the brakes in a timely manner. This can result in an increased stopping distance, potentially leading to accidents.

What factors contribute to an increased stopping distance for a drunk driver?

In addition to impaired reaction time and motor skills, alcohol can also affect a driver's vision, perception, and judgment. These combined factors can result in slower decision-making and increased stopping distance while driving.

At what blood alcohol concentration (BAC) does a driver's reaction time become significantly impaired?

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a driver's reaction time can become significantly impaired at a BAC of 0.08%, which is the legal limit in most states. However, even a lower BAC can still have an impact on reaction time and stopping distance.

Can a driver's reaction time and stopping distance be improved with practice or training?

While practicing safe driving habits and taking defensive driving courses can improve a driver's overall skills, alcohol still impairs the brain's ability to process information. The only way to avoid an impaired reaction time and increased stopping distance while driving is to not drink and drive.