Gravity > Perpetual Motion > Charging by Induction and energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of a perpetual motion machine in space using a spherical planet with a cylindrical hole, a magnet, and coils. However, according to Lenz's law, the induced current in the coils will always generate a magnetic field to oppose the changing magnetic field from the magnet, making the machine impossible. The conversation concludes that this idea goes against the laws of thermodynamics and would not work in practice.
Ryoukomaru
So according to my common sense and logic and some disscussions I had with other people on IRC, theoretically in space if you had a exactly/perfectly spherical planet with a cylinderical hole through it, and you dropped something -a huge permanent magnet to be specific- through that hole, the thing would move up and down forever until some force is exerted on it, Correct ?
Then right in the middle of this hole, we put some coils. When the magnet goes through this coils, it is going to create a EMF on the coils correct and according to Lenz law, there will be an electromagnetic friction. But if we remove the current as soon as it is created, there won't be a friction, thus the thing would just keep moving ?! If this were possible then it would be against the laws of thermodynamics, the second one if I recall them correctly, unless gravity is also a form of energy.

So since this is not possible, where am I thinking wrong ? :rofl: :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryoukomaru said:
So according to my common sense and logic and some disscussions I had with other people on IRC, theoretically in space if you had a exactly/perfectly spherical planet with a cylinderical hole through it, and you dropped something -a huge permanent magnet to be specific- through that hole, the thing would move up and down forever until some force is exerted on it, Correct ?
Then right in the middle of this hole, we put some coils. When the magnet goes through this coils, it is going to create a EMF on the coils correct and according to Lenz law, there will be an electromagnetic friction. But if we remove the current as soon as it is created, there won't be a friction, thus the thing would just keep moving ?! If this were possible then it would be against the laws of thermodynamics, the second one if I recall them correctly, unless gravity is also a form of energy.

So since this is not possible, where am I thinking wrong ? :rofl: :rofl:

All you need to do is to actually PERFORM this experiment yourself. You will realize that the moment you try to push a magnet through a coil, you will feel a RESISTANCE against it. This means that you have to apply a force to get the magnet into the coil - the force you apply gets larger as you try to move the magnet faster into the coil.

Lenz's law is the result of the conservation of energy. The induced current in the coil, no matter how fast you "remove" it, will generate its own magnetic field to oppose the changing magnetic field flux from the magnet. This is inescapable.

Zz.

I have no idea what you mean by "remove the current as soon as it is created" but (a) if the current fails to come into existence you can extract no usable energy from it in which case your scheme is a nonstarter and (b) if it does come into existence and you extract usable energy then it had to have come from the magnet-planet system and that energy loss will zap your perpetual motion machine out of existence.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force that exists between any two masses. It is responsible for the attraction of objects towards the center of the Earth, as well as the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in the universe.

2. Can perpetual motion exist?

No, perpetual motion is not possible. This is because it violates the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In order for perpetual motion to exist, it would have to continuously produce energy without any external input, which is not possible.

3. What is charging by induction?

Charging by induction is a process in which an object becomes electrically charged without coming into direct contact with a charged object. This occurs when a charged object is brought near a neutral object, causing the charges to redistribute and create an opposite charge on the opposite side of the neutral object.

4. How does charging by induction relate to energy?

Charging by induction is a method of transferring electrical energy from one object to another without direct contact. This can be useful in situations where direct contact is not possible or safe, such as in electronic devices.

5. Can energy be created by induction?

No, energy cannot be created by induction. Charging by induction is simply a method of transferring already existing electrical energy from one object to another. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.