Chemical kinetics - reaction rate

In summary: The concentration of product S at which the "solution becomes completely cloudy" is not comparatively small as said, forget trying to do anything at all.
chizuru

Homework Statement

2HCl + Na2S2O3 -> 2NaCl +S + SO2 + H2O
Find the order of reaction with respect to S2O32- and H+
che17.png

volume of 3.0M HCl was held constant at 2ml

Homework Equations

S2O32- + 2H+ -> S + SO2 + H2O
rate = k[Na2S2O3]m[HCl]n (see number 3.)

The Attempt at a Solution

i just started taking calculus so I'm having a hard time understanding most of the equations I find in the net and most of them skip the part of solving so I can't find enough examples.
I tried to graph the S2O32- part first
che.png

Concentration of reaction against time(left)
Rate of Reaction against Concentration of a Reactant(right)

it "looks" like the graph of a second order. could someone please tell me if it is correct and another way of solving it aside from graphing and some calculus? thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
and additional question, may i know the effect of having different volumes of water?

Please explain what you plotted, to be honest it doesn't look like anything to me.

Edit: adding water just dilutes solutions.

And "time for reaction to finish" doesn't really mean anything. It never finishes. Though I can make a guess, operationally what was it?

Sorry for being unclear. The "time for reaction to finish" should be the "time elapsed for the solution to be completely cloudy".
For the graph at the left: the x-axis is the time elapsed for the solution to be completely cloudy and the y-axis is the number of moles/L.
For the graph at the right: the x-axis is the number of moles/L and the y-axis is the number of moles/(L * time)

It is almost embarrassing. I am inclined to advise don’t waste clean thought on such a dirty experiment. Any calculus would certainly be overkill.

But if you really do have to write up something:
Do you have any idea of the concentration of product S at which the “solution becomes completely cloudy”? If that is just a small fraction of the Na2S2O3 and you know what it is, call it Ccrit, you could just about say that Ccrit/(time to reach Ccrit) is a velocity in moles.L-1s-1. And if you don’t know what Ccrit is then 1/(time to reach Ccrit) is proportional to velocity. This is something like your RHS fig turned sideways and reflected. Which looks roughly linear.
With the proviso that that is the vaguest roughest experimental endpoint imaginable.
And that if Ccrit is not comparatively small as said, forget trying to do anything at all.And that you would have to clean up your presentation.
I don’t know why your table has 3 points and your graph 5.
Your vertical axis on left table can’t possibly be moles/L
You couldn’t find the order in HCl as you haven’t varied it.

I don't know if I got across I have rarely seen such a bad experiment, sorry.

1. What is chemical kinetics?

Chemical kinetics is the branch of chemistry that studies the rates of chemical reactions and the factors that influence them.

2. What is reaction rate?

Reaction rate is the speed at which a chemical reaction takes place, measured by the change in concentration of reactants or products per unit time.

3. What factors can affect reaction rate?

Some common factors that can affect reaction rate include temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of catalysts, and surface area of the reactants.

4. How is reaction rate measured?

Reaction rate is typically measured by monitoring the change in concentration of a reactant or product over time. This can be done using various techniques such as spectroscopy or titration.

5. What is the rate law of a chemical reaction?

The rate law of a chemical reaction is an equation that relates the rate of the reaction to the concentrations of the reactants and any catalysts present. It can be determined experimentally by measuring the reaction rate at different concentrations and using the data to determine the order of the reaction and the rate constant.