Interfacing question of different voltage levels

In summary, Satya is facing an interfacing problem between two hardware boards - Unit 1 and Unit 2. Unit 1 has 48 configurable digital inputs and outputs with 5V TTL levels, while Unit 2 requires 24V to detect high and gives 24V or 0V as output. Satya is seeking suggestions for an intermediate circuitry to connect the 5V output of Unit 1 to the 24V input of Unit 2, and also for interfacing the digital inputs of Unit 1 with the digital outputs of Unit 2. He is also concerned about potential damage to the 5V I/O of Unit 1 when interfacing with a 24V system. One suggestion is to
Physicslearner500039
Hi all,

i have this small interfacing problem somebody please suggest me how to resolve this problem. i have two hardware boards say unit 1 and unit 2. The Unit 1 has 48 digital inputs and outputs configurable through software as either input/ouptut but they are ttl level i.e 5V logic. i have unit 2 which is also having digital input and outputs but this unit needs 24V to detect as high (internal to unit2 24v is converted into 5V and given to microcontroller) and on its output it gives either 24V or 0V. Now i need to interface this unit1 and unit2

My clarifications are:

1. To connect digital output of unit1 of 5V by level shifting to 24V and giving it to unit2. please suggest some intermediate circuitry for this

as per my idea i think i can use 24v relays but it would be costly and using some 32 24V relayes would be difficult. could somebody some altenative and easy solutions.

2. to interface the unit1 digital inputs with unit2 digital outputs. since unit1 recongnizes ttl levels can i convert the 24v high from unit2 by using resistors and bring it to 5V and connect to unit1. Please provide some ideas for this.

what are the possibilities in which the unit1 5V I/O may get damaged or what care i have to take while interfacing with 24V system.

please let me know if you have further clarifications.

thanks in advance,

regards,
satya

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you for the quick reply. i have drawn the internal diagrm of the Unit2 conversion from the 24V to 5V system and attched.

thanks and regards,
satya

Attachments

• digitalinput.doc
    58.5 KB · Views: 263

1. What is interfacing of different voltage levels?

Interfacing of different voltage levels refers to the process of connecting two devices or systems that operate at different voltage levels. This is necessary to ensure that the devices can communicate and exchange data effectively without damaging either of the systems.

2. Why is interfacing of different voltage levels important?

Interfacing of different voltage levels is important because it allows different systems to communicate and work together. Without proper interfacing, devices with different voltage levels may not be able to communicate effectively, which can lead to data loss or damage to the systems.

3. How is interfacing of different voltage levels achieved?

Interfacing of different voltage levels is achieved through the use of components such as voltage level shifters, level translators, and voltage regulators. These components help to convert the voltage levels of one system to match the voltage levels of the other system, allowing for effective communication.

4. What are the challenges of interfacing different voltage levels?

One of the main challenges of interfacing different voltage levels is ensuring that the voltage conversion is accurate and reliable. Other challenges may include signal degradation, power consumption, and compatibility issues between different devices.

5. How can the risk of damage be minimized during interfacing of different voltage levels?

The risk of damage during interfacing of different voltage levels can be minimized by using components specifically designed for voltage level conversion, following proper circuit design guidelines, and performing thorough testing before connecting the systems. It is also important to ensure that the voltage levels of the two systems are not too far apart to prevent potential damage.