How To Travel at The Speed of Light

In summary, a device that would propel a spacecraft to the speed of light without using the engine would have to use a slingshot or something that would provide infinite energy. It is possible, but not guaranteed, and depends on the laws of classical and quantum physics.
JtValentine
Okay, so I'm no physicist, but I just had a random thought. So they say that traveling at the speed of light is impossible because the mass of the engine would have to be constructed infinitely big. But what if the propulsion didn't come from the spacecraft ?

I was wondering what you guys and gals thought about a device that would pull the spacecraft to the speed of light, instead of push. Think of a slingshot.

It was just a random thought. It may be totally idiotic. I don't know, I just love physics. :)

What do yall think?

Physics news on Phys.org
The impossibility of traveling at the speed of light results from you having mass. Only massless particles can travel at the speed of light, and they must do so.

JtValentine said:
I was wondering what you guys and gals thought about a device that would pull the spacecraft to the speed of light, instead of push. Think of a slingshot.
You'd still need 'infinite' energy, so a slingshot won't help.

D H said:
The impossibility of traveling at the speed of light results from you having mass. Only massless particles can travel at the speed of light, and they must do so.

Ah. I'm dumb. Thanks!

No matter how fast you are travelling, relative to how you started, you will still measure the speed of light traveling away from you at c. So basically, no matter how fast you get going, you are essentially never any closer to getting to close to the speed of light, since you will always measure the speed of light the same from every frame of reference.

Unless you are a nuetrino of course.

JtValentine said:
Okay, so I'm no physicist, but I just had a random thought. So they say that traveling at the speed of light is impossible because the mass of the engine would have to be constructed infinitely big. But what if the propulsion didn't come from the spacecraft ?

It was just a random thought. It may be totally idiotic. I don't know, I just love physics. :)

What do yall think?

If you have the time to wait, you could let yourself free fall from infinity into a black hole. When you reach the event horizon you should have a relative velocity of c with the black hole in accordance with classical physics. However, GR might determine the relative velocity to be other than exactly c.

If you are in a hurry you could start from a shorter distance from the black hole and accelerate toward it such that upon free falling the rest of the distance to the black hole your relative velocity with the black hole is c when you reach the event horizon. Again, this is according to classical physics.

So in essence a black hole would be pulling rather than pushing you.

Last edited:

1. How is it possible to travel at the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is possible for an object with mass to approach the speed of light, but it would require an infinite amount of energy. However, massless particles like photons can travel at the speed of light.

2. What are the potential consequences of traveling at the speed of light?

One potential consequence is time dilation, where time appears to pass more slowly for the traveler compared to someone not traveling at the speed of light. Additionally, objects traveling at this speed would experience an increase in mass, making it difficult to reach and maintain this speed.

3. Is it possible for humans to travel at the speed of light?

Currently, it is not possible for humans to travel at the speed of light due to the limitations of technology and our understanding of physics. However, scientists continue to explore and research ways to potentially achieve this feat in the future.

4. How long would it take to travel to different planets at the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. At this speed, it would take approximately 4.3 years to travel to the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, and 27 years to travel to our closest neighboring galaxy, Andromeda.

5. Can objects with mass travel at the speed of light?

As mentioned earlier, objects with mass cannot reach the speed of light due to the infinite amount of energy required. However, they can approach this speed, and the closer they get, the more their mass increases, making it increasingly difficult to reach the speed of light.