What Causes the Beamed Emission of Pulsars?

In summary: There is no "standard model" for pulsar beaming. However, there is observational evidence that pulsars beam energy.
RHK
Hello everybody.
I am searching for an explanation about the beamed emission of pulsars, either in radio and in X-rays bands.
I can not find a "standard" reason (with demonstration, eventually) for the beaming of this objects' radiation.
Please, can you suggest to me something, or even a link or a pdf?

Thanks in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The intense magnetic field of a pulsar is the short answer.

Too much short, perhaps :)
Pulsars have a magnetosphere: why does the beaming occur only through the poles?

I am sorry, I can not understand.
From the link:
"The beam originates from the rotational energy of the neutron star, which generates an electrical field from the movement of the very strong magnetic field, resulting in the acceleration of protons and electrons on the star surface and the creation of an electromagnetic beam emanating from the poles of the magnetic field."

This does not explain the direction and the "tightness" of the beam.
Can you be a little more clear for my understanding?

I wish I could. I don't understand that well myself. Perhaps the magnetic field causes charges near the magnetic poles to gyrate around the field lines and produce the radiation, with the high density of field lines at the poles explaining the "tightness" of the beam. Just a guess though.

Is there any other idea?

Other sources which may be helpful:
http://burro.astr.cwru.edu/Academics/Astr221/LifeCycle/pulsars.html
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/ugrad/hons/hons_courses/PA(05)20.pdf
Note as well that most pulsars are members of multiple star systems. This provides a source of material to 'feed' the beaming process. Not that this is absolutely essential to permit a pulsar to form, given their environment is typically 'polluted' to with remnant material from the parent star.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the pdf document:
"In polar cap models, the beaming is explained in terms of the relativistic beaming e ect for relativistic particles propagating along the magnetic eld lines, which implies that the radiation is con ned to a cone with half-angle 1/γ about the direction of the magnetic fi eld.
This beaming is a feature of emission by relativistic particles and applies to all emission mechanisms that involve relativistic particles in one-dimensional motion along B."

The question is: should I consider only the magnetic axis, and not the field lines direction?

RHK said:
Hello everybody.
I am searching for an explanation about the beamed emission of pulsars, either in radio and in X-rays bands.
I can not find a "standard" reason (with demonstration, eventually) for the beaming of this objects' radiation.
Please, can you suggest to me something, or even a link or a pdf?

Thanks in advance.

I checked into this myself. I concluded that 1) everyone agreed that the old theories were wrong. 2) Some said that it had been explained as an obscure consequence of general relativity 3) Others did not believe this.

Everyone agreed that it was a difficult problem.

RHK said:

There isn't one.

There is very strong observational evidence that pulsars beam energy, however unlike the universe or particle physics, there is no "standard model" of pulsar beaming.

Black holes and the entire universe are very simple. Anything with a magnetic field becomes complex to the point that we understand more about the big bang than we do about pulsar beaming.

So, is there no model for the polar emission?
I have found some (not well understood) explanations about the emission from the open field lines around the magnetic polar axis... is not this the "standard model"?

1. What is "beamed emission" from pulsars?

Beamed emission from pulsars refers to the emission of electromagnetic radiation in a narrow beam from the magnetic poles of rapidly rotating neutron stars known as pulsars. This emission is caused by the rotation of the pulsar, which produces a strong magnetic field that accelerates particles and emits radiation in a specific direction.

2. How is the "beamed emission" from pulsars different from other types of radiation?

The beamed emission from pulsars is different from other types of radiation, such as thermal or blackbody radiation, because it is highly directional and has a specific frequency and polarization. This emission is also highly periodic, with pulses occurring at regular intervals due to the rotation of the pulsar.

3. What is the significance of studying "beamed emission" from pulsars?

Studying beamed emission from pulsars allows scientists to gain a better understanding of the physics behind these highly energetic objects. This emission can also be used to study the properties of pulsars, such as their rotation rate and magnetic field strength. Additionally, beamed emission from pulsars can be used as a tool for detecting and studying other objects, such as exoplanets and interstellar medium.

4. How is "beamed emission" from pulsars detected and measured?

Beamed emission from pulsars can be detected and measured using radio telescopes, which can detect the radio waves emitted by the pulsar. These waves are then analyzed for their frequency, intensity, and polarization, providing information about the pulsar's properties. Other methods, such as X-ray and gamma-ray telescopes, can also be used to detect and measure the beamed emission from pulsars.

5. What are some current research areas related to "beamed emission" from pulsars?

Some current research areas related to beamed emission from pulsars include studying their emission properties and how they vary over time, searching for new pulsars and understanding their formation and evolution, and using pulsars as probes to study the interstellar medium and detect gravitational waves. Researchers are also exploring how beamed emission from pulsars can be used in technologies such as pulsar navigation systems and ultra-precise clocks.