Nuetron Star Binary: Acretion Process Differences

In summary, the acretion process between a white dwar binary and blakc hole binary is different due to the lack of a solid surface in black holes. It is likely that the process is similar in neutron star binaries but with higher energies, often leading to a thermonuclear explosion.
skydivephil
The acretion process between a white dwar binary and blakc hole binary is significantly different as the black hole has no solid surface. So am I right to presume that a neutron star binary should be the same process but with higher energies than than white dwarf case?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
skydivephil said:
The acretion process between a white dwar binary and blakc hole binary is significantly different as the black hole has no solid surface. So am I right to presume that a neutron star binary should be the same process but with higher energies than than white dwarf case?

I'm no expert but I would say yes. In neutron stars usually the matter accumulates until a gargantuan thermonuclear explosion occurs.

1. What is a neutron star binary?

A neutron star binary is a binary star system in which both stars are neutron stars. These are extremely dense and compact objects that are formed from the collapsed core of a massive star.

2. How are neutron star binaries formed?

Neutron star binaries are formed when two massive stars orbit each other and eventually one of the stars collapses into a neutron star. The remaining star then continues to orbit the neutron star, creating a binary system.

3. What is the accretion process in neutron star binaries?

The accretion process in neutron star binaries refers to the transfer of mass from one star to the other. In this process, the neutron star pulls material from its companion star onto its surface, forming a disk of gas that spirals towards the neutron star.

4. What are the differences in the accretion process between neutron star binaries?

The main difference in the accretion process between neutron star binaries is the rate at which material is transferred from one star to the other. This can vary depending on the mass and orbit of the two stars, as well as any external factors that may affect the system.

5. How do differences in the accretion process affect neutron star binaries?

The differences in the accretion process can affect neutron star binaries in various ways. For example, the amount of material being transferred can impact the brightness and energy output of the system, while the rate of transfer can affect the lifespan of the binary system.