Calculating Resultant Force on a Moving Blade Impinged by a Jet of Water

In summary, a jet of water with a diameter of 70mm and a velocity of 25m/s is deflected through 130o by a stationary blade. The resultant force on the blade, in magnitude and direction, can be calculated using the impulse-momentum equation. If the blade has a velocity of 5m/s in the same direction as the jet and the jet loses 20% of its velocity due to friction, the force on the moving blade can be recalculated. It is assumed that the density of water is 1000kg/m3. Appropriate illustrations should be included to show the solutions for both (a) and (b).
lennyp1ke
A jet of water 70mm in diameter moving with a velocity of 25m/s impinges tangentially on a stationary blade which deflects the jet through 130o.
(a) Find the resultant force on the blade, in magnitude and direction.
(b) If the blade has a velocity of 5m/s in the same direction as the jet and the jet loses 20% of its velocity due to friction, recalculate the force on the moving vane.
Assume density of water = 1000kg/m3.

Your solutions to both (a) and (b) to include appropriate illustrations
can some one please help or give me an idiots example of how to get started on this , I am not good at word to show my working out i have no answer as i can't work out ( u ) uk way of working out equation
thanks
if i could just get a good pionter i should be able to do it myself using my notes guys thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think impulse-momentum equation: ∫Fdt = Δp
where
F = force
t = time
p = momentum.

(Vectors are in bold)

thanks man well appreciated, ill give it a go , then well see if it looks right thanks

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids, which are defined as substances that can flow and take on the shape of their container. It involves the analysis of the behavior of liquids and gases under various conditions, such as how they move, how they interact with their surroundings, and how they exert forces on objects.

2. What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications, such as designing aircrafts and other vehicles, developing efficient pumps and turbines, understanding weather patterns, and optimizing industrial processes like oil drilling and chemical manufacturing.

3. What are some important equations used in fluid mechanics?

Some key equations in fluid mechanics include the continuity equation, which describes the conservation of mass, the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid, and the Navier-Stokes equations, which govern the motion of fluids.

4. What are the differences between laminar and turbulent flow?

In laminar flow, the fluid moves in smooth, orderly layers with little to no mixing, while in turbulent flow, the fluid moves in an irregular, chaotic manner with significant mixing. Turbulent flow is generally more common in real-world situations and can result in higher levels of energy loss and drag.

5. How can I solve problems in fluid mechanics?

To solve problems in fluid mechanics, you can use various analytical and numerical methods, depending on the complexity of the problem. These may include solving equations, applying conservation laws, using dimensional analysis, and using computer simulations. It is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying principles and equations in order to effectively solve problems in fluid mechanics.