Length of the life of a red supergiant.

In summary: It won't hurt to have that data, but it won't be as helpful as you might think.In summary, the conversation discusses the lifespan of a red supergiant with 400,000 times the luminosity of the sun and a mass of 30 times greater. While there is a general rule for calculating the life expectancy of a main sequence star, it becomes more complicated for red supergiants. Factors such as fuel consumption and fusion rates must also be taken into account. While there are some scaling relationships that can provide estimates, a more detailed answer would require the use of a computer program.
crawleen
hey,

thought i would throw this problem out there...

if you have the luminosity of a red supergiant 400,000 times more luminous than the sun and a mass of 30 times greater than the sun how would you go about answering how much longer or shorter than the sun would you expect it to liv?

i know luminosity is related to mass but i don't have any actual figures and I am contemplating looking for the circumference /radius and using that.

any smarter thoughts?!?

cheers!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Red supergiants are a phase of the lifecycle of massive stars that they go through after they are no longer main sequence, IE they are no longer burning hydrogen in their core. Before this they are usually blue supergiants, which are typically much smaller than red supergiants in the same way that stars like the Sun are much smaller in their main sequence phase than they are in the red giant phase. Are you wanting to know how long a star with 30 solar masses would live, or how long it would remain in the red supergiant phase?

The general rule for life expectancy of a main sequency star is roughly 10 billion divided by its solar mass to the power of 2.5 [1E10/M^2.5]. This formula is less accurate for very small, or large stars. A 30 solar mass star would definitely qualify as very large. The naive life expectancy for such a star would be around 2 million years [but probably closer to 1 million years in reality]. Calculating the life expectancy for the red giant phase is ... complicated. It is safe to say it is less than the main sequence life expectancy because helium fusion is less efficient than hydrogen fusion and the star is far more luminous [using more fuel] than it was during its main sequence phase. The estimate for the sun is around 500 million years, or about 5% of its main sequence life expectancy of 10 billion years. For a 30 solar mass star, we could be talking only a matter of tens of thousands of years before it went boom.

Plus the amount of fuel available for a red supergiant is significantly reduced after hydrogen burning. Hydrogen fusion turns 4 hydrogen into 1 helium, so there is only 1/4 the amount of fuel once Helium fusion starts. (Depending on if you view two hydrogen fusing together as 1 reaction or the process of fusing 4 together into helium as one reaction) As further elements are fused the amount of fuel continues to decrease as more nucleons are tied up in larger and larger nuclei.

crawleen said:
if you have the luminosity of a red supergiant 400,000 times more luminous than the sun and a mass of 30 times greater than the sun how would you go about answering how much longer or shorter than the sun would you expect it to liv?

You can do some rough guesses based on fusion rates, but if you want a detailed answer, you'll need to dump it all into a computer program.

http://mesa.sourceforge.net/

i know luminosity is related to mass but i don't have any actual figures and I am contemplating looking for the circumference /radius and using that.

There are some scaling relationships for blue supergiants, but when you talk about red ones, those are off the main sequence so it becomes more difficult.

1. What is a red supergiant?

A red supergiant is a type of star that is in the late stage of its life cycle. It is typically a large, cool, and luminous star that has expanded and evolved from a main sequence star.

2. How long does a red supergiant live?

The length of a red supergiant's life can vary, but on average, it can live for about 50 million years.

3. What factors affect the length of a red supergiant's life?

The length of a red supergiant's life is primarily affected by its mass. The more massive the star, the shorter its lifespan. Other factors include its metallicity and rotation rate.

4. What happens at the end of a red supergiant's life?

At the end of a red supergiant's life, it will eventually run out of fuel and will undergo a supernova explosion. This explosion will release massive amounts of energy and create new elements.

5. Can a red supergiant turn into a black hole?

Yes, a red supergiant with a mass greater than about 20 times that of the sun can turn into a black hole at the end of its life. This is known as a Type II supernova.