Find the Differential Equation Relating Input Voltage and Output Voltage

In summary: Similarly, x2(s) can be found by integrating velocity V2(s). Assuming that the masses do not interact, the resulting velocities at x1 and x2 can be found by solving for these integrals:x1(s) = K1x1(s) + DB(x1(s))x2(s) = m2D^2x(s)
tesla93
Hey all,

I'm stuck on a dynamic systems question, it's attached as a jpeg

I started off by writing nodal equations for each node:

Node 1: 1/R1(ei-eA)=C1D(eA-eo)+1/R2(eA-eB)

Node 2:1/R2(eA-eB)=C2D(eB)

I know that I have to isolate for ei and eo but I'm really confused with the D^2 that's in the answer. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Attachments

• dynamic systems question.jpg
    dynamic systems question.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 930
Physics news on Phys.org
Write the node equations in the state space domain (Laplace); The impedance of a capacitor is given by 1/(s*C). The state variable 's' translates to the differential operator D → ##\frac{d}{dt}## in the time domain.

tesla93 said:
I know that I have to isolate for ei and eo but I'm really confused with the D^2 that's in the answer.

It's the second derivative DDy -> D2y

For example, if you took the derivative of your second node equation:

1/R2(eA-eB) = C2D(eB)
D(1/R2(eA-eB)) = D(C2D(eB))
1/R2 D(eA-eB) = C2 D2(eB)

Ohhhh okay that makes sense. Took a while to wrap my head around it but I got the right answer in the end. Thanks! :)

While I'm at it, I'm having trouble with another question like the one above, but this time it's a mechanical system. It's the jpeg below.

I started off with the writing equations for each mass

Mass 1: K1x1 + DB(x) + k2(x1-x2) = 0

Mass 2: m2D^2x = DB(x1-x2) + k2(x1-x2)

First off, can someone confirm that those equations are right?

After that, I'm supposed to sub in the given values and get everything in terms of fa(t) and x1, but I feel like my equations are wrong because it's not working out.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• dynamic systems question2.jpg
    dynamic systems question2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 725
tesla93 said:
While I'm at it, I'm having trouble with another question like the one above, but this time it's a mechanical system. It's the jpeg below.

I started off with the writing equations for each mass

Mass 1: K1x1 + DB(x) + k2(x1-x2) = 0

Mass 2: m2D^2x = DB(x1-x2) + k2(x1-x2)

First off, can someone confirm that those equations are right?

After that, I'm supposed to sub in the given values and get everything in terms of fa(t) and x1, but I feel like my equations are wrong because it's not working out.

Thanks for looking!

You've used variables x, x1, and x2 in your equations. I can see x1 and x2 indicated on your diagram, but what is x?

The method that I usually prefer for these sorts of problems is to convert the mechanical system into its equivalent electrical analog. Then I have a available all the analytical apparatus for electrical circuits (including circuit simulators). Your problem "translates" into:

attachment.php?attachmentid=52854&stc=1&d=1352651601.gif

Note that potentials at V1 and V2 will represent the velocities of the masses. In the Laplace domain, position x1(s) can be found by integrating velocity V1(s). Integration is trivially accomplished by dividing by the Laplace state variable: x1(s) = V1(s)/s.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,058

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions and their derivatives. It describes the relationship between the rate of change of a variable and the variable itself.

2. Why is it important to find the differential equation relating input voltage and output voltage?

Finding the differential equation allows us to understand the behavior and relationship between the input and output voltage in a system. This can help us analyze and predict the behavior of the system, and make adjustments or improvements if necessary.

3. How do you determine the differential equation for a specific system?

The differential equation for a system can be determined by analyzing the components and their relationships, using principles from physics and mathematics. In the case of input and output voltage, the equation can be derived using principles of circuit analysis and the laws of electricity.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the differential equation for input voltage and output voltage?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the differential equation include the assumptions made in the derivation process, the precision of the measurements used, and any external factors that may influence the system's behavior.

5. How is the differential equation for input voltage and output voltage used in practical applications?

The differential equation can be used to design and optimize electronic circuits, control systems, and other electrical devices. It can also be used in modeling and simulations to predict the behavior of a system under different conditions and make improvements accordingly.