Solving a system of Inequalities

In summary: IGNvbXBpbGVkIn summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the maximum value of γ in a system of inequalities involving α and γ. It is determined that there is no actual maximum value that satisfies the strict constraints, but rather an "inf" or "sup". The conversation also highlights the importance of using the correct symbols when dealing with strict inequality constraints.
timtitan
Hello, I'm having some trouble with a Queuing Networks question, not the networks but solving a system of inqualities based on the network.

Homework Statement

I have to find the value of α that gives maximum γ, and then use the value. The system is defined by
[tex]5\gamma< 1[/tex]
[tex]20\gamma \alpha<1[/tex]
[tex](60/0.9) \gamma (1-\alpha)<1[/tex]

Now [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a probability and lies in the region [itex] 0<\alpha<1[/itex]
While [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a rate and is non-zero.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I've got so far as to put the system in this form and to solve through to find that in the region
[tex] 0< \alpha ≤ 10/13, that 0 < \gamma < -3/(200(\alpha-1)) [/tex]
while in the region
[tex] 10/13 < \alpha <1, that 0 < \gamma < 1/(20 \alpha) [/tex]

Thus the maximum value of [itex]\gamma[/itex] lies in the region [itex] \gamma < 13/200[/itex] when [itex]\alpha = 10/13 [/itex].

This much is fine, but I need to use an actual value of [itex]\gamma[/itex] in the next part of the question and I can't think how to get a [itex]\gamma = [/itex] expression. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
timtitan said:
[tex] 0< \alpha ≤ 10/13, 0 < \gamma < -3/(200(\alpha-1)) [/tex]
while in the region
[tex] 10/13 < \alpha <1, 0 < \gamma < 1/(20 \alpha) [/tex]

Thus the maximum value of [itex]\gamma[/itex] lies in the region [itex] \gamma < 13/200[/itex] when [itex]\alpha = 10/13 [/itex].
γ = 13/200 satisfies all the constraints;
for α < 10/13, γ < 3/(200(1-α)) < 3/(200(1-10/13)) = 13/200, right?
and for α > 10/13 etc.

Yes but isn't that only if [tex] \gamma ≤ 13/200 [/tex] whereas in this case [tex] \gamma < 13/200 [/tex] so surely [itex] \gamma [/itex] must be infinitesimally less than this value?

Ok, now I understand your question properly.
If you take the constraints as strict, there is no maximum value that satisfies them. No matter what value you pick, you can always get a slightly higher one.

timtitan said:
Hello, I'm having some trouble with a Queuing Networks question, not the networks but solving a system of inqualities based on the network.

Homework Statement

I have to find the value of α that gives maximum γ, and then use the value. The system is defined by
[tex]5\gamma< 1[/tex]
[tex]20\gamma \alpha<1[/tex]
[tex](60/0.9) \gamma (1-\alpha)<1[/tex]

Now [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a probability and lies in the region [itex] 0<\alpha<1[/itex]
While [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a rate and is non-zero.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I've got so far as to put the system in this form and to solve through to find that in the region
[tex] 0< \alpha ≤ 10/13, that 0 < \gamma < -3/(200(\alpha-1)) [/tex]
while in the region
[tex] 10/13 < \alpha <1, that 0 < \gamma < 1/(20 \alpha) [/tex]

This much is fine, but I need to use an actual value of [itex]\gamma[/itex] in the next part of the question and I can't think how to get a [itex]\gamma = [/itex] expression. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

In general, optimization problems subject to strict inequality constraints do not have solutions: you may have an "inf" but not a minimum, or a "sup" but not a maximum. For example, what is the solution of the simple problem
minimize x, subject to x > 0?
Answer: the problem is ill-posed, and does not have a solution!

Often, when students are first introduced to such problems they are sloppy and write ">" when they should write "≥" or they write "<" when they should write "≤".

RGV

What is a system of inequalities?

A system of inequalities is a set of two or more inequalities with one or more variables. It is a way to represent multiple constraints or conditions on a set of variables.

How do you graph a system of inequalities?

To graph a system of inequalities, start by graphing each individual inequality on the same coordinate plane. The solution will be the overlapping region of all the individual graphs. This is known as the feasible region.

What is the difference between a system of equations and a system of inequalities?

A system of equations involves only equalities, while a system of inequalities involves both equalities and inequalities. In a system of inequalities, there can be multiple solutions that satisfy the given conditions.

What is the purpose of solving a system of inequalities?

The purpose of solving a system of inequalities is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the given inequalities. This allows us to determine the range of possible solutions and make informed decisions based on those solutions.

What methods can be used to solve a system of inequalities?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a system of inequalities, such as graphing, substitution, elimination, and using matrices. The most appropriate method will depend on the complexity of the system and personal preference.