Solve for L: Unknown Exponential Function & Plain Side

• Thread starter lookingforhlp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, an unknown exponential function is an equation with an unknown variable in the exponent, typically written as y = ab^x. To solve for L, logarithms can be used to bring the exponent down. The Plain Side refers to the side of the equation without the unknown variable in the exponent. A calculator can be used to solve for L in an unknown exponential function. Real-life applications of solving for L include financial calculations, scientific modeling, and studying growth and decay in various fields.
lookingforhlp
I am doing a heat transfer problem and I need to solve for the length of something. I have reduced the equation to this:

[C3/C1*L] = e^(-C2*L)

Find L
Where: C1, C2, & C3 are constants

Please help I am in a real bind!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

You need a function such as the Lambert W function. Otherwise solve numerically.

C2L e^(C2L)=C1C2/C3

is the standard form for the Lambert W function

1. What is an unknown exponential function?

An unknown exponential function is an equation that involves an unknown variable in the exponent. It is typically written in the form of y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the unknown variable.

2. How do you solve for L in an unknown exponential function?

To solve for L, you need to use logarithms. You can take the logarithm of both sides of the equation to bring the exponent down and then solve for L using basic algebra techniques.

3. What is the Plain Side in an unknown exponential function?

The Plain Side refers to the side of the equation that does not contain the unknown variable in the exponent. It is typically the left side of the equation and is represented by y in the equation y = ab^x.

4. Can you use a calculator to solve for L in an unknown exponential function?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for L in an unknown exponential function. Most scientific calculators have a logarithm function that can help you solve for L quickly and accurately.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving for L in an unknown exponential function?

Solving for L in an unknown exponential function is commonly used in financial calculations, such as compound interest and population growth. It is also used in scientific fields, such as physics and chemistry, to model exponential decay and growth. Additionally, it can be applied in fields like biology and medicine to study the growth of bacteria or the decay of radioactive elements.