Heat Pump Design: Components & Assembly Guide

In summary, the individual is looking to design a heat pump that uses CO2 as the working fluid. They are not sure how to pick the components that they need for the project, and are seeking advice from others.
Avis
Hey guys,

I'm looking at designing a heat pump system that uses CO2 as the working fluid. I'm not exactly sure how to pick the components that I need like a compressor, expansion valve, etc. I am trying to create an experimental device that will work in conjunction with my CO2 thermosyphon to take heat from low temperature sources.

Is there a design guide?
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of such components or prebuilt assemblies?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nobody has an idea? I am stuck beyond stuck. Havent dealt with this kind of thing before and it hard to find resources.

CO2 is a tricky fluid for heat pump use because of its properties such as freezing on expansion. Your project sounds interesting, but why use CO2 as the working fluid when there is a mountain of experience with fluorocarbons, which are not much more demanding in terms of temperature range?

Trying something different, higher COP, smaller components. Looking to go green. We are realizing however that its a bit out of our league right now. Would you have any resources for designing a heat pump (sizing components and what not) for using R134A as the working fluid?

I'm not sufficiently involved with the engineering to help, but would think that the national labs would be your first stop. They are interested in energy efficient heating/cooling and do work on the engineering details in an open framework, unlike the Carriers and such. A quick Google gave this link for a start:
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/ees/etsd/btric/eere_research_reports/electrically_driven_heat_pumps/advanced_cycle_development/air_to_air_single_speed/ornl_conf_810101_5/ornl_conf_810101_5.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. I'm going to have to go to my Project supervisor for some serious advice. I think I'm in a little over my head.

1. What is a heat pump and how does it work?

A heat pump is a device that transfers heat from a colder area to a warmer area, using a small amount of energy. It works by extracting heat from the air, ground, or water, and then transferring it into a space or object that needs heating.

2. What are the main components of a heat pump?

The main components of a heat pump include an evaporator, compressor, condenser, and expansion valve. The evaporator absorbs heat from the source (air, ground, or water), the compressor increases the temperature of the absorbed heat, the condenser releases the heat into the desired space or object, and the expansion valve regulates the flow of refrigerant.

3. How is a heat pump assembled?

A heat pump is assembled by connecting the four main components (evaporator, compressor, condenser, and expansion valve) with refrigerant lines and electrical wiring. It also requires a fan, motor, and control panel for proper functioning. The entire assembly is then mounted onto a base or frame and connected to a duct system for distribution of heated air.

4. Are there different types of heat pumps?

Yes, there are different types of heat pumps including air-source heat pumps, ground-source heat pumps, and water-source heat pumps. Air-source heat pumps extract heat from the outside air, ground-source heat pumps extract heat from the ground, and water-source heat pumps extract heat from a water source such as a lake or pond.

5. What are some important considerations for heat pump design?

When designing a heat pump system, it is important to consider the heating and cooling load requirements, the efficiency of the system, the size and location of the heat pump, and the type of refrigerant used. It is also important to consider the climate and location of the building, as well as the cost and maintenance requirements of the heat pump.