Radon Price: What Does "$4/m" Mean?

• Thread starter Bruce Bacher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radon
In summary, Radon can be purchased for approximately $4 per mCi, according to multiple sources. "mCi" refers to milli-Curie, a unit used to measure radioactivity.
Bruce Bacher
Radon price: $4/m ??

I'm doing some research on Radon. I have to put together a PowerPoint presentation that describes its origins, properties, characteristics, etc. (Each student was assigned a different element.)

One piece of information I'm required to report on is current price to purchase a sample of the element. I have found only one source that mentions a purchase price for Radon, and it says "Radon can be purchased for approximately $4/m." - without further explanation.

What is "m"?? I assume it must be a unit of volume or mass, but if so I'm not familiar with it.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmmmm metre, that well known unit of mass... :smile:

Can we see the source?

Yes, of course! Sorry, I should have posted that.

The actual quote is "Radon is available at a cost of about $4/m."

http://www.scescape.net/~woods/elements/radon.html

edit: That same source has a table above the text which states that the cost is "$/100g" (no numeric value is given).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... I just found another source that says: "Radon is available at a cost of about $4/m Ci."

I know that Ci is a Curie, measuring radioactivity. Could "m Ci" mean mCi: a milli-Curie?

edit: second source is http://www.speclab.com/elements/radon.htm

Last edited:
Bruce Bacher said:
Hmmm... I just found another source that says: "Radon is available at a cost of about $4/m Ci."

I know that Ci is a Curie, measuring radioactivity. Could "m Ci" mean mCi: a milli-Curie?
That would be right.

AM

Woohoo! That makes a lot more sense than "m"!

1. What is radon and why is it important to know the price?

Radon is a colorless and odorless radioactive gas that can be found in soil, rock, and water. It is important to know the price of radon because it is a potential health hazard and can enter homes through cracks in the foundation or other openings.

2. What does the "$4/m" mean in relation to radon price?

The "$4/m" refers to the cost of radon mitigation per square meter. This is the average price for a professional radon mitigation system, which is used to reduce the levels of radon in a home or building.

3. Is $4/m a standard price for radon mitigation?

No, the price of radon mitigation can vary depending on factors such as the size of the home, the severity of the radon levels, and the location. $4/m is an average price and may not reflect the actual cost for your specific situation.

4. Are there any additional costs associated with radon mitigation?

In addition to the cost of the actual mitigation system, there may be additional costs for testing and monitoring to ensure that the levels of radon are reduced to a safe level. There may also be additional costs for repairs or modifications to the home to prevent radon from entering.

5. Is it necessary to hire a professional for radon mitigation?

While some homeowners may attempt to mitigate radon themselves, it is highly recommended to hire a professional with experience in radon mitigation. This is because improper installation or inadequate mitigation can lead to ineffective results and potential health risks.