How to determine direction of forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way to determine the position vector of point B relative to point D in a system in equilibrium. The solution to the problem shows the force being applied downward onto the structure, which may be confusing at first. The individual mentions using the sense of the line to determine the position vector and realizing that the definition of the line is determining the LOA of the associated force. They also mention the importance of not subtracting points arbitrarily to get an accurate sense of the line.
sherrellbc
I am consistently getting this wrong. To me, in the picture below, it would make sense that the structure would be pulling downward, and the cable BD would be pulling upward - thus the system is in equilibrium.

AC3kld0.jpg

However, the solution to this problem show the force being applied downward onto the structure:

KgDAn1w.jpg

What is the trick?

Physics news on Phys.org
DB is not a force. It is measured in mm, so it must be the position vector of point B w.r.t. point D.

B = (480, 0, 600) mm
D = (0, 510, 280) mm

DB = (480, -510, 320) mm

I was using the sense of the line to determine the position vector, as you mentioned. I know that DB is not a vector, but if you normalize DB and then multiply the resulting vector by the magnitude of the F along that cable then you effectively have deduced the components of the force.

My problem is that, knowing the force should be from B -> D, I took D-B and got the opposite of what you have shown: DB = (-480, 510, -320).

Given two points, the way you subtract (D-B or B-D) does not matter for the magnitude of the line, but to get an accurate sense of the line you cannot do this action arbitrarily - as I have seen.

I see now though, that the definition of the line is nothing more than determining the LOA of the associated force.

1. How do you determine the direction of forces?

To determine the direction of forces, you need to first identify the object or system in question and all the forces acting upon it. Then, draw a free body diagram and use vector addition to find the resultant force. The direction of the resultant force will be the direction of the overall force acting on the object or system.

2. What is the difference between a contact force and a non-contact force?

A contact force is a force that requires physical contact between two objects, such as a push or a pull. On the other hand, a non-contact force is a force that can act on objects without physical contact, such as gravity or magnetism.

3. How does the direction of forces affect an object's motion?

The direction of forces can affect an object's motion by changing its speed, direction, or both. If the forces acting on an object are balanced, it will maintain its current state of motion. However, if the forces are unbalanced, the object will accelerate in the direction of the resultant force.

4. Is it possible for an object to have no forces acting on it?

According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, it is not possible for an object to have no forces acting on it. Even if the forces are balanced, there is still a force acting on the object.

5. How does the direction of forces affect the stability of a structure?

The direction of forces can greatly affect the stability of a structure. For example, if a force is applied in the same direction as the structure's weight, it can cause the structure to collapse. However, if the force is applied in a different direction, it can provide stability and prevent the structure from toppling over. Engineers must carefully consider the direction of forces when designing structures to ensure their stability.