Question about motorcycle emergency braking

In summary, the braking distance at an emergency stop would be the same no matter the temperature of the pads/rotors.
Ugur Dinch
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but here it is:

Does the brake pad/rotor temp effect the stopping distance at an emergency brake scenario on a motorcycle ?

Assumptions;
1) there is enough of traction between the tire and the asphalt
2) a performance motorcycle loops itself over the front wheel under extreme use of front brake
3) in this emergency brake, only the front brake of the performance motorcycle is used, and it is used just enough to lift the rear wheel off the ground, but not to loop the bike.

Edit:
4) All performed in a track
5) The temp of rotor and pads are always within the range of operating temps

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stopping requires that you reduce your kinetic energy - where the rubber meets the road is the only help you have in standard road vehicle design. The purpose of your brakes is to change the frictional mode from "rolling" to "kinetic", and then hopefully to "static".

Introducing spin/rotation into the question only invites accidents with possibly fatal results for the driver and innocent passers by.

Ugur Dinch said:
Does the brake pad/rotor temp effect the stopping distance at an emergency brake scenario on a motorcycle ?
The pads and rotors meant for a street legal motorcycle should be able to provide maximum braking force even when cold. Some pads and/or rotors could get too hot from repeated usage in racing like conditions, but the pads and rotors used on most sport bikes won't have this issue.

rcgldr said:
The pads and rotors meant for a street legal motorcycle should be able to provide maximum braking force even when cold. Some pads and/or rotors could get too hot from repeated usage in racing like conditions, but the pads and rotors used on most sport bikes won't have this issue.

I edited the assumptions.

More specifically, I would like to know, if my motorcycle would in theory come to stop at precisely the same distance with pads/rotors at 10c vs at 200c, while all other conditions are constant including tire/road and air temps.

Could you elaborate ?

Why does it change the stopping distance if at either one of the temps, my brakes are still at full force and lift my rear wheel off the ground ?

Ugur Dinch said:
Why does it change the stopping distance if at either one of the temps, my brakes are still at full force and lift my rear wheel off the ground ?
In this case the braking distance would be the same.

A difference would occur if the coefficient of friction between the brake pads and rotors were reduced enough by temperature that they could no longer provide enough torque to lift the rear wheel even with maximum force applied to the front brake lever. Read the wiki aricle mentioned above about brake fade. Some braking materials, like carbon fiber, don't brake as well if they are too cold.

The reason I posted this question is bec I believe the opposite.

Reason - because a motorcycle doesn't come to full braking power at an instant (in our example it's the rear wheel off state), the temp of rotors and pads will effect the graph of decel UNTIL to the point where the rear wheel is off.

Am I wrong to think this ?

Last edited:
Working brakes cannot exert more torque than is required to flip the bike (because the bike will flip!). So in effect that sets a limit... As long as they still work well enough to lift the rear wheel then they won't limit braking.

On the other hand if they have faded to the point where they can't lift the rear wheel any more then how much braking you have will depend on the state of the brakes.

1. How does emergency braking on a motorcycle differ from regular braking?

Emergency braking on a motorcycle requires more pressure and force on the brake lever or pedal in order to quickly slow down the vehicle. It also involves more utilization of the front brake, as the majority of the stopping power comes from the front wheel.

2. What is the proper technique for emergency braking on a motorcycle?

The recommended technique for emergency braking on a motorcycle is to apply both brakes simultaneously, using a firm and progressive squeeze on the front brake lever and a steady pressure on the rear brake pedal. It is important to avoid abruptly slamming on the brakes, as this can cause the wheels to lock up and potentially lead to a loss of control.

3. Are there any tips for practicing emergency braking on a motorcycle?

It is important to practice emergency braking in a controlled and safe environment, such as an empty parking lot. Start at low speeds and gradually work your way up to higher speeds. Pay attention to the feel of the brakes and how the motorcycle responds to your inputs. It is also helpful to practice emergency braking in different weather conditions to become familiar with how the brakes perform in different scenarios.

4. What should I do if I need to make an emergency stop on a wet or slippery road?

In wet or slippery conditions, it is important to be even more cautious when using the brakes. Apply the brakes more gently and avoid abrupt or jerky movements. It may also be helpful to downshift and use engine braking to slow down the motorcycle instead of relying solely on the brakes. Additionally, it is important to keep a safe distance from other vehicles and anticipate potential hazards on the road.

5. How often should I check my motorcycle's braking system for potential issues?

It is recommended to check your motorcycle's braking system at least once a month, or before every ride if possible. This includes checking the brake pads for wear, inspecting the brake lines and fluid for any leaks or damage, and ensuring that the brake lever and pedal are functioning properly. Regular maintenance and prompt repairs are crucial for ensuring the safety and effectiveness of your motorcycle's braking system.