Angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass after impact

In summary, The problem involves a 0.740 kg glob of clay striking a 1.740 kg bar perpendicularly at a point 0.140 m from the center of the bar and sticking to it. The bar is 0.660 m long and the clay is moving at 9.600 m/s before the impact. The final speed of the center of mass can be found using the conservation of energy equation 1/2m1v1 = 1/2m2v2 + 1/2 Iw^2. The next part of the problem involves finding the angular speed of the bar/clay system rotating about its center of mass after the impact, in radians/second. The final equation
pixelized
On a frictionless table, a glob of clay of mass 0.740 kg strikes a bar of mass 1.740 kg perpendicularly at a point 0.140 m from the center of the bar and sticks to it. If the bar is 0.660 m long and the clay is moving at 9.600 m/s before the impact, what is the final speed of the center of mass?

I have solved this part. The next part is the one I'm stuck on.

At what angular speed does the bar/clay system rotate about its center of mass after the impact in radians/second?

I have tried conservation of energy 1/2m1v1 = 1/2m2v2 + 1/2 Iw^2 but my answer is wrong.

Final equation. w = (m1v1-m2v2)/(1/2ML^2)

Could someone tell me where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Might just be a typo, for energy, I believe its [tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex] But you might already have that, think you are on the right track with both angular energy and translational though.

It looks like you have set up the equation correctly, but you may have made a mistake in your calculations. It's always a good idea to double check your work and make sure all units are consistent throughout the equation. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct values for the moments of inertia for the bar and clay. If you are still getting an incorrect answer, you can also try using the conservation of angular momentum equation, which states that the initial angular momentum must equal the final angular momentum. This equation can also be used to solve for the final angular speed.

1. What is angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass after impact?

The angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass after impact refers to the rotational velocity of the system around its center of mass following a collision or impact. It is a measure of how fast the system is rotating after the impact has occurred.

2. How is angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass calculated?

The angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass can be calculated using the formula: angular speed = linear speed / radius, where linear speed is the linear velocity of the system after impact and radius is the distance from the center of mass to the point of impact.

3. What factors affect the angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass after impact?

The angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass after impact is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the objects involved in the impact, the point of impact, and the distribution of mass in the system.

4. Why is the angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass important to study?

The angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass is important to study because it can help us understand the dynamics of rotational motion and collisions. It can also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports, where understanding the behavior of rotating objects is crucial.

5. How can the angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass be changed?

The angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the point of impact, and the distribution of mass in the system. Additionally, external forces such as friction or torque can also affect the angular speed of the system.