Intro Calculus Textbooks: Spivak & Larson

In summary, Spivak is a hard intro book that is suitable for those who already know a lot of math and who are very motivated and strong theoretically.
Radarithm
Gold Member
What introductory calculus textbook do you recommend? Is Spivak's book good or is it too hard? What about Ron Larson's?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak is an excellent intro book. Depending on your interests it might be more theory-oriented than you care for, but regardless it contains most of the important information.

jgens said:
Spivak is an excellent intro book. Depending on your interests it might be more theory-oriented than you care for, but regardless it contains most of the important information.

The 4th edition is the best one, correct? Also, does it explain the information thoroughly?
Larson's seems a bit watered down so I guess I'm probably getting Spivak.

edit: Apostol's seems good. Should I get it or stay with Spivak?

Radarithm said:
The 4th edition is the best one, correct?

Any edition is probably fine. Which one is best is honestly more a matter of accessibility, cost, etc.

Also, does it explain the information thoroughly?

Yes. It essentially starts from first principles, taking the existence of a Dedekind-complete ordered field for granted, and then proves everything systematically from there.

edit: Apostol's seems good. Should I get it or stay with Spivak?

Either is fine.

If I don't know what a Dedekind-ordered field is, should I go for an easier book?

Radarithm said:
If I don't know what a Dedekind-ordered field is, should I go for an easier book?

No. He never uses that terminology. Instead he simply lists all the properties we want our real numbers to have. Since the only Dedekind-complete ordered field is the real numbers you can read my statement as "It essentially starts from first principles, taking the existence of the reals numbers for granted, and then proves everything systematically from there" which is honestly what I should have written in the first place.

Edit: Since I am generally against giving overly complicated answers my previous response deserves some defense. The reason I opted for "Dedekind-complete ordered field" instead of "real numbers" initially was that I wanted to emphasize how Spivak gives a functional definition of the real numbers (i.e. in terms of their abstract properties) instead of a concrete one like the decimals. In retrospect, given the OPs background, this was a poor choice and I apologize for that.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Alright, thanks a lot for the help! Looks like I'm going for Spivak.

Spivak is a very hard, very abstract book, suitable mostly for those who already know a lot of math and who are very motivated and strong theoretically. For the right audience it is superb, but it helps to have a teacher.

I personally think it is not at all an introductory book, but you will find out by reading it. I say all this only so that you are not discouraged if it is not right for you. Many other books are much easier and more appropriate for most people to begin with.

I like Cruse and Granberg for instance, but it is hard to find.

mathwonk said:
Spivak is a very hard, very abstract book, suitable mostly for those who already know a lot of math and who are very motivated and strong theoretically. For the right audience it is superb, but it helps to have a teacher.

I personally think it is not at all an introductory book, but you will find out by reading it. I say all this only so that you are not discouraged if it is not right for you. Many other books are much easier and more appropriate for most people to begin with.

I like Cruse and Granberg for instance, but it is hard to find.
I'll get a used or new (but cheaper) copy of another textbook along with it. Spivak's will be good to have when I'm good enough at calculus.

What sets Spivak & Larson's Intro Calculus textbooks apart from other textbooks?

Spivak and Larson's textbooks are known for their rigorous and thorough approach to teaching calculus. They focus on developing a deep understanding of the subject through challenging problems and proofs, rather than just memorizing formulas. They also include historical context and real-world applications to make the material more engaging.

Are these textbooks suitable for beginners or do they require prior knowledge of calculus?

While some basic knowledge of algebra and trigonometry is helpful, Spivak and Larson's textbooks are designed for beginners and do not assume any prior knowledge of calculus. They provide a solid foundation in the fundamentals of calculus and gradually build upon them to more advanced concepts.

Do these textbooks cover both single and multivariable calculus?

Yes, both Spivak and Larson's textbooks cover both single and multivariable calculus. They begin with the basics of single variable calculus and then move on to more advanced topics such as vector calculus and differential equations.

Do these textbooks come with practice problems and solutions?

Yes, both Spivak and Larson's textbooks include numerous practice problems and solutions to help students reinforce their understanding of the material. They also provide challenging problems to help students develop their problem-solving skills.

Are these textbooks suitable for self-study or do they require a teacher or tutor?

While having a teacher or tutor can be helpful, Spivak and Larson's textbooks are designed to be used for self-study. They provide clear explanations and examples, as well as exercises and solutions, allowing students to learn at their own pace and track their progress.