Recommend a good statistics/probability book

• Thread starter hamorabi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the speaker is looking for a book that will provide a strong foundation for probability and statistics through intuition. They mention having studied information theory in college but have since forgotten most of it. They also mention wanting the book to cover advanced topics like 2-D random variables and queuing theory. When asked about what books they consider intuitive, the speaker mentions a book on differential equations by Pollard and Tennebaum.
hamorabi
Hello,
I have always been fascinated by probability and statistics for a reason I do not know. However, when I was in college I did information theory where probability theory is extensive. That was some 3 years back. For some reason I seem to have forgotten most of it mainly because of the lack of intuition behind the theories.
I'm looking to acquire a strong foundation for probability/statistics by intuition to finally entrench this subject in my head. The book should also include advanced topics like 2-D random variables, queuing theory etc.
Please suggest a good book with a proclivity to intuition.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
"Intuitive" is a subjective matter. What math books have you seen that you consider intuitive?

Stephen Tashi said:
"Intuitive" is a subjective matter. What math books have you seen that you consider intuitive?

Well, the time I was studying DE, I had a book by Pollard and Tennebaum and it was a beauty because the authors were deliberately taking their time to explain. As you might know, you can teach someone DE in a day or a month and the authors chose the month plan.

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn statistics and probability?

The best book for beginners to learn statistics and probability is "Statistics for Dummies" by Deborah J. Rumsey. It provides a comprehensive and easy-to-understand introduction to the fundamentals of statistics and probability, making it a great starting point for those new to the subject.

2. Which book is recommended for advanced learners in statistics and probability?

"Introduction to Probability and Statistics" by William Mendenhall, Robert J. Beaver, and Barbara M. Beaver is a great book for advanced learners. It covers a wide range of topics in depth and provides challenging exercises to help improve understanding and application of concepts.

3. Are there any books specifically for learning statistics and probability in a business context?

Yes, "Business Statistics for Competitive Advantage with Excel 2016: Basics, Model Building, Simulation and Cases" by Cynthia Fraser is a highly recommended book for learning statistics and probability in a business context. It focuses on practical applications and uses Excel as a tool for analysis and visualization.

4. Is there a book that explains the connection between statistics and probability?

"Statistics and Probability for Engineering Applications" by William DeCoursey provides a clear and concise explanation of the relationship between statistics and probability. It also includes real-world examples and applications to help illustrate the concepts.

5. What is the best book for self-study in statistics and probability?

For self-study, "The Cartoon Guide to Statistics" by Larry Gonick and Woollcott Smith is a highly recommended book. It presents complex concepts in a fun and easy-to-understand way through illustrations and cartoons, making it ideal for self-learners.