Dfiference between demux and decoder

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decoder
In summary, a decoder takes n inputs and produces 2^n outputs, while an encoder takes 2^n inputs and produces n outputs. A multiplexer selects one line from many lines, while a demultiplexer transmits data from one line to 2^n possible output lines based on n select lines. The main difference between a decoder and a demux is that a decoder is designed to keep one line high, while a demux sets one output equal to the input. However, both can be used for similar purposes and can be converted into each other.
EvLer
could someone draw a clear distinction between these two for me? or are they basically the same?
Decoder usually takes several inputs (2^n) and produces n outputs. Multiplexer is a switch but demultiplexer...if it's inverse of multiplexer than it has to have at least several inputs but the simplest mux has only 1 output, which means that if it is used as demux, it has only 1 input.
Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think a decoder takes n inputs and produces [tex]2^n[/tex] outputs. I know that it is possible to turn a decoder into a mux, not sure about a mux to decoder.

Last edited:
Let's clarify:
A decoder takes n inputs and produces 2^n outputs. An encoder takes 2^n inputs and produces n outputs.
A multiplexer selects one line from many lines. The inverse of selection is distribution. A demux essentially transmits data from one line line to 2^n possible output lines. The output line is determined by n select lines. In short, a multiplexer selects an input line, a demultiplexer selects an output line.

The differences between these two circuits is subtle, as far as I can tell. A demux simply selects an output line, nothing more. It's a glorified switch. A decoder takes n inputs, and uses those inputs to determine which of the 2^n output lines is high. This is the difference, I think. A decoder is designed to simply keep one line high. A demux is designed to set one output equal to the input (whether it be high, low, or a changing signal).

I'm just learning this stuff myself, so if I made a mistake, please correct me.

What is the difference between a demultiplexer and a decoder?

A demultiplexer, or demux, is a digital circuit that takes in one input and selects one of several output lines based on a select signal. A decoder, on the other hand, takes in one input and produces several outputs based on the input value. In short, a demultiplexer separates one input signal into multiple output signals, while a decoder converts one input signal into multiple output signals.

How do demultiplexers and decoders work?

Demultiplexers and decoders are both composed of logic gates, such as AND, OR, and NOT gates. These gates perform logical operations on the input signals to determine the output signals. The difference lies in the type of logic used - demultiplexers use combinational logic, while decoders use sequential logic.

What are the applications of demultiplexers and decoders?

Demultiplexers are commonly used in data transmission systems, where they are used to separate a single data stream into multiple channels. Decoders are often used in digital systems, such as computers, to decode instructions and data.

Can a demultiplexer act as a decoder?

Yes, a demultiplexer can act as a decoder, but not vice versa. A demultiplexer with n output lines can act as a decoder for a binary input of n bits. However, a decoder with n outputs cannot act as a demultiplexer, as it does not have a select signal to choose which output to activate.

What is the main difference between a demultiplexer and a decoder in terms of functionality?

The main difference between a demultiplexer and a decoder is that a demultiplexer separates one input signal into multiple output signals, while a decoder converts one input signal into multiple output signals based on the input value. In other words, a demultiplexer only selects which output line to activate, while a decoder also performs a conversion or decoding operation.