Probability of getting 3 on loaded die

• Thread starter jdstokes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of the number of throws required to get a 3 being strictly more than 5 and strictly less than 10 is 0.1805. This can be calculated by using the fact that the die is loaded in a way that odd numbers are twice as likely to occur as even numbers and applying a change of variables.
jdstokes
A six-sided die is loaded in such a way that an odd number is twice as likely to occur as an even number. We throw the die until a 3 is observed. What is the probability that the number of throws required is (strictly) more than 5 and (strictly) less than 10?

Answer: 0.1805.

My working.

P(odd) = 2P(even)
P(odd) + P(even) = 1
Therefore
P(odd) = 2/9.

X = "number of throws before success"

X is geometric with p = 2/9.

Therefore

[itex]P( 6\leq X \leq 9 ) = \sum_{i=6}^9 (2/9)(1-2/9)^i = 0.1403642 [/itex].

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

James

Physics news on Phys.org
I finally figured it out. For anyone interested, the solution involves a change of variables from [itex]X[/itex] (the number of failures before success) to [itex]Y = X + 1[/itex] (the number of attempts required for success).
So [itex]P( 6\leq X \leq 9 ) = \sum_{i=6}^9 (2/9)(1-2/9)^{i-1} = 0.1805 [/itex].

1. What is the probability of getting a 3 on a loaded die?

The probability of getting a 3 on a loaded die depends on the specific characteristics of the loaded die. In general, the probability would be higher than the standard 1/6 probability for a fair die.

2. How is the probability of getting a 3 on a loaded die calculated?

The probability of getting a 3 on a loaded die can be calculated by dividing the number of times a 3 appears on the die by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if the loaded die has a 1/3 chance of landing on 3, then the probability would be 1/3.

3. Can the probability of getting a 3 on a loaded die be determined experimentally?

Yes, the probability of getting a 3 on a loaded die can be determined experimentally by rolling the die multiple times and recording the number of times a 3 appears. The experimental probability may differ from the calculated probability due to chance or other factors.

4. How does the weight distribution of a loaded die affect the probability of getting a 3?

The weight distribution of a loaded die can affect the probability of getting a 3 by altering the way the die rolls and lands on a surface. For example, if one side of the die is heavier than the others, it may be more likely to land on that side, increasing the probability of getting a 3.

5. Can the probability of getting a 3 on a loaded die be manipulated?

Yes, the probability of getting a 3 on a loaded die can be manipulated by altering the characteristics of the die, such as the weight distribution or the shape of the faces. However, this manipulation would be considered cheating and is not a reliable or ethical way to influence the outcome of a game or experiment.