DSL works - No Telephone Dial Tone?

• Thread starter callerundone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, the conversation is about a recurring issue with the phone line not having a dial tone, while the DSL continues to work. The person has contacted their service provider multiple times, but the issue still persists. They have also tried using different types of phones and removing the DSL filters, but the problem remains. The discussion also touches on other issues with the service provider, such as a recent incident where the phone made a 911 call without their knowledge. Some suggestions are offered, such as switching to a different provider or using wireless phones, but the person has not found a satisfactory solution yet.
callerundone
DSL works - No Telephone Dial Tone?!?

I noticed a few threads concerning this problem and as I'm thoroughly beyond annoyed with Verizon, I thought I would lay my problem before those of you with some smarts - as opposed to the company's technician with half a brain cell. For a year, my phone has been intermittant with it's service. I'll pick it up and there will be no dial tone - caller's phoning in are able to leave a message on the phone line's voicemail, but I never hear a ring. DSL continues to work. Last week, the police showed up at our door at 1:30 am in response to a 911 call from our number. No dial tone - I checked. We couldn't have called 911 if we needed to. Any suggestions and assistance would be much appreciated!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you not called your service provider and said "my phone has no dial tone"? It doesn't matter whether the technician, in your opinion, has half a brain cell: it's up to them to fix it! Otherwise, just change your telephone provider.

It's quite worrying that your phone has made an emergency call that you didn't make. I'd be straight on the phone to them and get them to sort it out.

I've called dozens of times (literally) over the past year. I tried switching - can't find a provider other than Verizon since we seem to be in "verizon territory"

I'm at my wits end - I can't get them to come out until at minimum, three days past the time when the phone doesn't work. By then, it's "fixed" itself.

Well what have they done about it? Have they sent an engineer out to your house? If so, what did he say when he arrived? Have they even made an effort to fix it?

I don't know about the phone system in the US, but I'm sure there can't be a monopoly on the phone services, can there?

Edit: are you sure it's definitely the phone line, and not the handset itself?

They've sent multiple technicians. They test the box outside (we're in a series of townhomes), no problems. They all say there isn't much they can do. No efforts to fix it, except one called to say he would call the main office because it sounded like a "switching" problem. I may be batty, but it SEEMS to occur more frequently during weather changes (ie: rain, extreme temperature changes). I'm continuing to look for another provider - the main competitor doesn't service this area, although they service 10 miles west of here.

All three phones go dead at the same time. Two wireless, and a wired (on a DSL splitter)

Last edited:
Perhaps someone here will be able to help, but I guess that the company's own engineer would be in a far better position to help.

I don't know what to suggest. If it were me in that position, I'd cancel my line and use my cell phone; but that might not suit you.

you sure its not your phone? make a call to the local newspaper or television. this will get their attention

I'd go totally wireless until another land line provider showed up.

That seems strange that Verizon would blow you off like that. :rolleyes:

nah its typical verizon.
did you read the story about 0.01cent/kb and verizon interpreted it is 0.01cent means 1cent or how verizon lost a lawsuit and still would not pay up the individual until the county sheriff showed up at their office ready to arrest someone :)

You missed my sarcastic tone!

Did see hear about that story. So did they show up at the corporate office and ask for the CFO?

Jeez, that Verizon phone conversation was a hoot! I don't normally have patience for things that take that long (Wife excepted), but I didn't mind watching that whole 'conversation'. Examples of stupidity like that make me seriously wonder sometimes why our species has managed to last this far.
As to the problem, what sort of line do you have? Around here, the phones used to regularly go out when it rained because the underground cables leaked. Maybe the same thing happens in your area. The DSL still working might be because the frequency that it uses can penetrate water better than phone voice signals.

That cannot explain the 911 call (?) Did you tried a plain stupid phone (pulse) for a try?

It might if leakage caused cross-talk between lines. Couldn't that cause the system to misread the origin of the call?

Did you install the phone filters? They might be bad. You should have one on every phone, EXCEPT the computer line.

To generate 3 pulses equal to 9-1-1 by cross-talk leak .and. that the id is the house .and. that the phone is on the switch - seems gross to me - unless someone more expert can explain how.

I'm not more expert than anybody. In fact, I'd be scared to go on 'Are you smarter than a 5th grader?'. I think that you might be overcomplicating the situation, though. I didn't mean to imply that the 911 was randomly generated by cross-talk. What I was thinking is that someone else might have dialled that number, but cross-talk led to a mistaken origin.

No offense meant; just wondering; but you're sure right... Anything could happen...

I fired my land-line provider for much less than this! I went all wireless phones and cable-modem for internet.

I don't plan on going back any time soon.

I've tried a plain old touch-tone phone (not wireless) - as basic as you can get. I haven't tried removing the DSL filters, however. Waiting for our next episode of phone silence to try that. Our buildings were built a year ago - no one else on this row of townhomes seems to be having any trouble. All the suggestions you have are great ... I'll keep trying them as the opportunity arises (which is WILL ... it has never NOT come up again)

Danger said:
I'm not more expert than anybody. In fact, I'd be scared to go on 'Are you smarter than a 5th grader?'. I think that you might be overcomplicating the situation, though. I didn't mean to imply that the 911 was randomly generated by cross-talk. What I was thinking is that someone else might have dialled that number, but cross-talk led to a mistaken origin.
Can't help but comment on the quote - love it!

I've moved this to General Technology where these discussions go.

I suggest you read the two threads about this.

"phone has no dial tone DSL WORKS OK??"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=150748

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Thanks for info , had same problem .The past week phone worked off and on ,no dial tone ,when it did work abit of interference.DSL always worked. You could phone our house and got ringing but nothing at our end . I checked all phone conections inside and outside.
The one thing that hit home was the 911 call . Our nieghbour across the street had the police there this week for a 911 call that they didnt do . The phone tech (Bell) found loose conection down the street apparently that's a common problem when wires are loose 911 is a easy combination to dial ?? Thanks I leanrt something today .
This loose connection did affect the speed of internet ,which neighbours had but no phone disconnect .

cristo said:
Well what have they done about it? Have they sent an engineer out to your house? If so, what did he say when he arrived? Have they even made an effort to fix it?

I don't know about the phone system in the US, but I'm sure there can't be a monopoly on the phone services, can there?

Edit: are you sure it's definitely the phone line, and not the handset itself?

It's a de facto monopoly. It was a monopoly in the normal sense, then congress split the national monopoly into many regional monopolies.

But, the fact that they are regional monopolies is tolerated and regulated by the state. They get to operate as a monopoly, but have to sacrifice some autonomy, for the sake of efficiency. This is allowed where competition isn't a viable option. (Phone service is believed to be inviable as a competitive market.)

WRT the OP I've had they same situation where my DSL worked but not the phone a few times. The DSL-from what the ATT repair guy told me-requires a lot less power so if there is a minor short somewhere it may still run but not the phone. hth

1. How does DSL work without a telephone dial tone?

DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) technology uses existing telephone lines to provide high-speed internet access. However, unlike traditional dial-up internet, DSL does not require the use of a telephone dial tone. Instead, it uses a different frequency range on the telephone line, allowing the internet signal to coexist with voice calls on the same line.

2. Can I still make phone calls with DSL internet?

Yes, you can still make phone calls while using DSL internet. DSL technology separates the internet signal from the voice signal, so you can use your telephone without any interference or disruption to your internet connection.

3. How is DSL different from cable or fiber internet?

DSL, cable, and fiber are all different types of internet connections. DSL uses existing telephone lines, while cable uses coaxial cables and fiber uses fiber-optic cables. DSL is generally slower than cable or fiber internet, but it is also more widely available and typically less expensive.

4. What affects the speed of DSL internet?

The speed of DSL internet can be affected by several factors, including the distance between your home and the nearest telephone exchange, the quality of your telephone wiring, and the number of users on your network. Additionally, some DSL providers offer different speed tiers, so the plan you choose can also affect your internet speed.

5. Is DSL internet available everywhere?

DSL internet is available in most areas where telephone lines are installed. However, the speed and availability can vary depending on your location and the distance from the nearest telephone exchange. It's best to check with local providers to see if DSL internet is available in your area.