Where to get large display (Like TI-83) calulator that is non-programmable?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter pswayze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-83
In summary, the conversation discusses the restrictions on calculators in a Fluid Mechanics class and the need for a large display calculator that is not programmable. The speaker mentions the option of a Casio ClassPad 330, which has a touch screen and a resolution of 240 x 160. They also advise against getting a TI-Nspire due to potential problems. They suggest watching a YouTube video to see the capabilities of the Casio ClassPad 330.
pswayze
My Fluid Mechanics teacher doesn't allow programmable calculators and he checks before the exam. I asked him and he said we can have any large display calculator as long as it isn't programmable. Has anyone seen such a thing? I really am dependent on the giant LCD that shows the equation after I put in my numbers. Any suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Here is a list of non-programmable calcs
http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productCategory/us_scientific.html

Last edited:
pswayze said:
My Fluid Mechanics teacher doesn't allow programmable calculators and he checks before the exam. I asked him and he said we can have any large display calculator as long as it isn't programmable. Has anyone seen such a thing? I really am dependent on the giant LCD that shows the equation after I put in my numbers. Any suggestions?

pswayze said:

I'd suggest an HP, but all the HP's with large graphic screens are programmable (except for a couple of business/financial calcs)! But the screens don't get much bigger than the one on the Casio ClassPad 330. AND it's a touch screen! Resolution 240 x 160. TI's are fine, but DON'T GET THE TI-Nspire! They seem to have a lot of problems. Check out this YouTube video--for a non-programmable (non-HP, non-RPN) calculator, this one is pretty impressive. Watch the video!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Where can I purchase a large display calculator?

Large display calculators, like the TI-83, can be purchased at most office supply stores, electronics stores, or online retailers.

2. Are there any stores that specifically sell non-programmable calculators?

Yes, there are stores that specialize in selling calculators, such as Staples or Office Depot, that offer a variety of non-programmable options.

3. Can I find a non-programmable calculator at a discounted price?

Yes, many retailers offer sales or discounts on calculators, including non-programmable ones. You can also look for used calculators on websites like eBay or Amazon.

4. Do I need a special license or permission to purchase a non-programmable calculator?

No, you do not need a special license or permission to purchase a non-programmable calculator. They are widely available for purchase by the general public.

5. Can I use a large display calculator on standardized tests or exams?

It is always best to check with the testing organization beforehand, but most standardized tests and exams do allow the use of a non-programmable calculator, such as the TI-83. However, make sure to double check the allowed features and functions to ensure your calculator is within the guidelines.