Is Span{W} a Subspace of V?

In summary, to show that Span{W} is a subspace of V, we need to show that it is closed under addition and multiplication. This can be done by considering the definition of Span{W} as the set of all linear combinations of the vectors in W, and showing that any linear combination or constant multiple of these vectors will also be in Span{W}.
veege
Homework Statement

Suppose V is a vector space with operations + and * (under the usual operations) and W = {w1, w2, ... , wn} is a subset of V with n vectors. Show Span{W} is a subspace of V.

The attempt at a solution

I know that to show a set is a subspace, we need to show closure under addition and multiplication. I don't where to go from there. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe start by reviewing what Span{W} means. Quote the definition in your next post, ok?

Start with multiplication.

Span W = c*a*w1+...+c*an*wn

Does this exist in V?

For addition, add Span W to Span R or whatever you want to call it.

Dick said:
Maybe start by reviewing what Span{W} means. Quote the definition in your next post, ok?

Dustinsfl said:
Start with multiplication.

Span W = c*a*w1+...+c*an*wn

Does this exist in V?

For addition, add Span W to Span R or whatever you want to call it.

The span is basically the set of all linear combinations of the vectors w1, w2, ... , wn. So then, I can define some vector S and some vector T in terms of w's:

S = c1*w1 + c2*w2 + ... + cn*wn

T = k1*w1 + k2*w2 + ... + kn*wn

I think I get it now. I can see how S + T will be closed, and some constant a*S will be closed.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors, which can be added together and multiplied by scalars (numbers). It follows certain axioms and properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, that make it a useful tool for solving problems in linear algebra and other areas of mathematics.

2. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies all the axioms and properties of a vector space. It can be thought of as a smaller vector space that is contained within a larger vector space. Every subspace must contain the "zero vector" (a vector with all components equal to 0) and be closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

3. What is the span of a set of vectors?

The span of a set of vectors is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that can be created by adding and scaling the given vectors. The span is always a subspace of the original vector space, and it can help us understand the dimension and structure of the original space.

4. How can I determine if a set of vectors forms a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a subspace, you can check if it satisfies all the axioms and properties of a vector space. This includes checking if it contains the zero vector, if it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and if it is closed under taking linear combinations. If all of these conditions are met, then the set of vectors is a subspace.

5. Why are vector spaces and subspaces important in mathematics?

Vector spaces and subspaces are important because they provide a framework for solving problems related to linear equations, systems of equations, and other mathematical concepts. They also have applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. By understanding the properties and structure of vector spaces and subspaces, we can better understand and solve complex problems in various areas of study.