(Please help ) If A² = I, prove det A = ±1

• Thread starter chapone
  • Start date
In summary, the book is unclear about what "I" means, but I am assuming it is the identity matrix. When chapone tried to do matrix arithmetic on the entries of the matrix, he found that he was not successful. He is looking for help coming to a conclusion about whether he is doing the math correctly or not. If anyone can provide a counterexample to the theorem that shows that matrices do not always behave the same as scalars, chapone would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help!
chapone
(Please help!) If A² = I, prove det A = ±1

If A² = I, show that det A = ±1

This book is very unclear, but I am assuming by "I" they mean the identity matrix with a size of 2x2. I have tried putting in A for row 1 column 1 - B for 1,2 - C for 2,1 and D for 2,2 multiplying and setting the results equal to the values of the identity matrix. I thought I was close, but now am doubting that I am going about this the right way. Any help is MUCH appreciated! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in this case, doing matrix arithmetic is going to be a lot easier than doing scalar arithmetic on the entries of the matrix.

Welcome to PF!

chapone said:
If A² = I, show that det A = ±1

This book is very unclear, but I am assuming by "I" they mean the identity matrix with a size of 2x2. I have tried putting in A for row 1 column 1 - B for 1,2 - C for 2,1 and D for 2,2 multiplying and setting the results equal to the values of the identity matrix. I thought I was close, but now am doubting that I am going about this the right way. Any help is MUCH appreciated! Thank you!

Hi chapone! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What makes you think they mean 2x2?

This theorem is true for any n x n matrix. :smile:

Do you know any formulas for determinants (for example, for det (AB))?

Take the determinant of both sides of A[tex]^{2}[/tex] = I.

(Any don't make any assumptions beyond what the book gives you.)

a² = 1
a² - 1 = 0
(a - 1) (a + 1) = 0
a=1 and a = -1
then a = ±1

john the gree said:
a² = 1
a² - 1 = 0
(a - 1) (a + 1) = 0
a=1 and a = -1
then a = ±1
This is all well and good for a real number a, but the OP is working with a matrix A, not a scalar. As such, A [itex]\neq[/itex] 1.

chapone got 3 good answers already, so I'll just add to what Mark44 said (also a good post, but not an answer for chapone) by providing a counterexample that shows that John's argument gets the wrong result for matrices:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1\\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1\\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

If A^2=1, then A is a matrix of order 2, which means that A is invertible.

Last edited by a moderator:

vigvig said:
If A^2=1, then A is a matrix of order 2
There are multiple meanings of the term "order", and your meaning here is not the meaning usually meant for matrices.

Last edited:

D H said:
There are multiple meanings of the term "order", and your meaning here is not the meaning usually meant for matrices.

What do you mean? Order in the sense of "group order", meaning A generates a group of order 2. Implying A must be invertible

1. What does "A² = I" mean in this context?

In this context, "A² = I" means that the square of matrix A is equal to the identity matrix. This means that when matrix A is multiplied by itself, the result is the identity matrix, which is a special matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else.

2. What is the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is a scalar value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is used to determine whether the matrix is invertible (has an inverse matrix) and to find the solutions to systems of linear equations.

3. How is the determinant of a matrix related to its inverse?

The determinant of a matrix is related to its inverse through the formula det(A) = 1/det(A^-1). This means that if the determinant of a matrix is non-zero, the matrix has an inverse. If the determinant is zero, the matrix does not have an inverse.

4. What does it mean to prove det A = ±1?

To prove det A = ±1 means to show that the determinant of matrix A is either 1 or -1. This is done by using the properties of determinants and the given information, such as A² = I.

5. How can I use the given information to prove det A = ±1?

To prove det A = ±1, you can use the properties of determinants, such as the fact that the determinant of a product of matrices is equal to the product of their determinants, and the given information A² = I. By manipulating these equations, you can show that det A must be equal to ±1.