Equivalent resistors in resistor networks

In summary, the given resistor network can be simplified by eliminating resistanceless branches and fusing nodes connected by them. This results in the nodes c and f being electrically equivalent, reducing the circuit downstream of them. The resulting parallel resistances connected across the 15Ω resistor are R(bc) = 20/3 and R(gc) = 10/3, leading to R(bg) = 6 and Req = 21Ω. The systematic approach of using notation to denote nodes and resistances can help in solving similar problems in the future.
Lildon
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think you would do well to first of all eliminate all the resistanceless branches and fuse the nodes connected by them.

I think you then may find there is a part of the circuit with no voltages and no currents. The fact I think so is far from a guarantee so I am within the rules saying so. Anyway look to simplify the circuit in this way.

Lildon said:

Homework Statement

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/megajette2/Resistornetwork.png

Homework Equations

parallel resistors share the same nodes or terminals and simplify to (a*b)/(a+b).
in series resistors values are added.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/megajette2/Resistornetworkwork-1.png

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I tried doing it other ways but my final answer doesn't come out right.

epenguin has given you a good hint.

I need some way of referring to the nodes so we have a common understanding. The network has 4 nodes above, and 4 nodes below. Starting with the upper row going from left (the open circuit at one end of Req) to right, label them a,b,c,d. With the lower row, going from right to left (the open circuit at the other end of Req), label them e,f,g,h. We have now described the complete network such that the resistance between a and h is Req.

Refer to the resistance between two nodes as R(ab) for example (here R(ab) = 5). When a node is considered electrically equivalent to another node, write d=e (for example), then reduce all relations to the earlier occurring node ('d' in this case). Write parallel as || and series as + (since series resistances are just summed up). All this is useful notation to help you conceptualise and solve future problems.

Electrical equivalence occurs when there's a short (no resistance) between two points. While you've clearly seen that R(de) = 0 and hence d = e, you've missed c = f. Once you see this, you can actually disregard the circuit downstream of nodes c and f (meaning there's no need to have calculated 20||5 = 4 and 10||10 = 5 as you did).

OK, so we have c=f. Everything connected to node f becomes connected to node c. So now we have 2 sets of parallel resistances connected across the 15Ω, i.e.

R(bc) = 20||10 = 20/3

R(gc) = 5||10 = 10/3

So R(bg) = 15||(20/3 + 10/3) = 15||10 = 6

and Req = R(ah) = R(ab) + R(bg) + R(gh) = 5 + 6 + 10 = 21Ω.

Try to do it in this systematic way in the future and you won't go wrong. :smile:

Thanks so much for your explanation. I'm pretty new to this stuff and kind of having a hard time. I'll definitely use this on the rest of my homework. Thanks again.

Your attempt at a solution is correct. The equivalent resistance for the parallel resistors is (6*12)/(6+12) = 4 ohms. The equivalent resistance for the series resistors is 2+6+8 = 16 ohms. Therefore, the total equivalent resistance for the entire network is 4+16 = 20 ohms. If you are getting a different answer, double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula for parallel and series resistors.

What are equivalent resistors in resistor networks?

Equivalent resistors in resistor networks refer to the concept of simplifying a complex network of resistors into a single resistor that has the same resistance value as the original network.

Why is it important to find equivalent resistors in resistor networks?

Finding equivalent resistors in resistor networks allows for easier analysis and calculations of the overall resistance in a circuit. It also helps in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

How do you calculate equivalent resistors in resistor networks?

The equivalent resistance in a series circuit is the sum of all the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is calculated using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn. For more complex networks, there are different methods such as the delta-wye transformation or the Kirchhoff's laws method.

What is the difference between series and parallel resistor networks?

In a series resistor network, all the resistors are connected end-to-end, creating a single path for current flow. In a parallel resistor network, the resistors are connected side-by-side, creating multiple paths for current flow. This results in different total resistance values for each type of network.

Can equivalent resistors be used in all circuits?

Equivalent resistors can only be used in linear circuits, meaning the current through the circuit is directly proportional to the voltage applied. Non-linear circuits, such as those with diodes or transistors, cannot be simplified using equivalent resistors.