Transferring Matter between Bubble Universes

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of visiting other bubble universes with different physical laws and the potential effects on matter and life. The example of a universe where the proton is heavier than the neutron is given, causing the existence of heavy water and carbon-14 based life. The implications of traveling to such a universe and the potential for shielding or isolating oneself from its effects are also discussed.
Shaira
Hello everyone,

First - apologies if this is the wrong subforum for this question, I wasn't quite sure where it belonged.

Thanks to everyone last summer who helped me with my science-fiction novel "Mindjammer", where I had some questions on solar shades - the feedback everyone provided me with was wonderful!

I have another, very speculative question, and I've been unable to find any hints from my own research, so am hoping you may be able to help again!

I've been researching traversable wormholes and bubble universes, particularly those where different laws of physics may apply. This morning I was reading "Looking for Life in the Multiverse" by Alejandro Jenkins and Gilad Perez in Scientific American, and their suggestion that hypothetical bubble universes with subtly (or not so subtly) different physical laws may still be able to support life.

My question is this: if we were to visit another bubble universe where different laws of physics pertained (assumption is we could actually do that), what would happen to us and any matter we took along? Asimov's story "The Gods Themselves" speculates that material from another universe would somehow "infect" our own, but I'm guessing he took that stance for dramatic interest. If we entered a universe where there was no weak nuclear force, or where life was based on carbon-14 rather than carbon-12, would our bodies be destroyed because carbon-12 "could not" exist, or would be continue to exist as some kind of intrusion or form of exotic matter? How about with more extreme differences?

Obviously this is again for science fiction reasons - I'm hoping to write about bubble universes, but like I say I'm having trouble finding what the current scientific thinking is about this.

Thanks in advance for what again is a highly speculative question!

Sarah

Space news on Phys.org
I suppose it would depend on the particular difference. Your examples are good starting points:

If life was made of C14, it probably would have no effect on C12 life --- or C12 life's continued viability. Thats because C14 based life would, presumably, be a stochastic difference rathe than a systematic one (i.e. C14 life happened to form over C12 life; but there's no physical law mandating it). But note that life is a highly local phenomenon (at least our type), on the scale of planets---far far smaller than universes. Its conceivable that C14 life would develop even in another part of our galaxy.

To my knowledge, the weak-nuclear force doesn't have any requisite stabilizing effect on macroscopic matter (i.e. people, cars, bananas)---thus, again, our universe's matter should be fine. But if the string force were absent, all of 'our' type of matter would instantly explode. Because its such a drastic difference, its logical to suppose matter from the alternate universe wouldn't be stable in our-own. You couldn't have a much more extreme difference than that.

Hello Zhermes!

Thanks very much indeed for the reply - that's *exactly* the sort of thing I'm after! :)

The Carbon-12 / Carbon-14 difference actually came from the Scientific American article. It's predicated on a universe where the proton is roughly 0.1 percent heavier than the neutron (down quark is lighter than the up), rather than the other way round, so that hydrogen atoms couldn't exist for long, but deuterium or tritium could.

In that universe, you could (according to the article) have oceans of heavy water, and life based on Carbon-14, given that Carbon-12 (I think) couldn't exist.

What do you think would be the implication of us traveling to such a universe, given the short life of hydrogen, deuterium- and carbon-14-based chemistry? Is that another case where we would "explode" (or dissolve, or rapidly break down, etc)? Would the same happen to any vessel (ie spaceship, etc) we were in? I'm guessing any hydrocarbons would be toast?

Lastly (and I know this is very much a science-fiction-y question), do you think there's any conceivable way to "shield" or "isolate" us (as intruders in that universe) from the effect?

Thanks very much again for your help,

Sarah

Shaira said:
The Carbon-12 / Carbon-14 difference actually came from the Scientific American article. It's predicated on a universe where the proton is roughly 0.1 percent heavier than the neutron (down quark is lighter than the up), rather than the other way round, so that hydrogen atoms couldn't exist for long, but deuterium or tritium could.

In that universe, you could (according to the article) have oceans of heavy water, and life based on Carbon-14, given that Carbon-12 (I think) couldn't exist.
Hmmm, that's very interesting. Do you happen to have a link to the article? I'd be very curious to read it.

Shaira said:
What do you think would be the implication of us traveling to such a universe, given the short life of hydrogen, deuterium- and carbon-14-based chemistry?
Honestly, I have no idea---I never would have considered changing the quark mass ratio to enact such an effect... I'll try to find the article, and maybe tease out a little more information.

Shaira said:
Lastly (and I know this is very much a science-fiction-y question), do you think there's any conceivable way to "shield" or "isolate" us (as intruders in that universe) from the effect?
Again, understanding the effects of changing the quark masses is way above my pay-grade... maybe that could occur from varying how the Higg's couples to quark/color-field (or whatever the hell its called)... You'd have to talk to a pro particle physicist; I'm more on the astrophysics side (and thoroughly without the 'pro').
I'd guess there's no way to 'shield' from it. But at the same time; there probably isn't a way to travel to this other universe---so you shouldn't let that stop you. How about you use a micro-wormhole to continually maintain a normal (our) universe bubble in your vicinity----or maybe more like an IV drip, delivering just enough of the 'normal' fields to maintain stability around you?
Make sure you're not standing next to a power-conduit---they always explode.

I must first clarify that the concept of bubble universes and traversable wormholes is still highly theoretical and has not been proven or observed in any way. That being said, let me provide a response to your question based on current scientific understanding and theories.

If we were to somehow enter another bubble universe with different physical laws, it is difficult to predict what would happen to us and any matter we bring along. The laws of physics are fundamental to our universe and dictate how matter and energy behave. If we enter a universe where the laws are drastically different, it is possible that our bodies and any matter we bring may not be able to exist in that environment. For example, if there is no weak nuclear force, it is likely that atoms and molecules as we know them would not be able to form, and therefore our bodies would not be able to function. In this case, it is possible that we would simply disintegrate or cease to exist in that universe.

On the other hand, if the differences in physical laws were not as extreme, it is possible that our bodies and matter we bring may still exist, but may behave differently. For example, if carbon-12 did not exist in another universe and carbon-14 was the dominant form, our bodies may still exist but may have different properties and functions. It is also possible that our bodies and matter may exist as some form of exotic matter, as you mentioned.

However, it is important to note that these are all speculations and there is currently no scientific evidence or theories to support these ideas. The concept of bubble universes and traversable wormholes is still a subject of active research and we are far from being able to travel to other universes, let alone understand the implications of different physical laws.

In terms of current scientific thinking, there are various theories and models that attempt to explain the existence of bubble universes and the possibility of traveling between them. Some propose the existence of a multiverse, where an infinite number of universes exist with different physical laws. Others suggest that bubble universes may be created through cosmic inflation, a rapid expansion of space after the Big Bang. However, these are all theoretical and have yet to be proven.

In conclusion, while the concept of traveling between bubble universes is fascinating and a popular topic in science fiction, it is still purely speculative and there is no current scientific understanding of what would happen to us and any matter we bring along. I hope this helps

1. What is the concept of transferring matter between bubble universes?

The concept of transferring matter between bubble universes is based on the theory of the multiverse, which suggests that there are multiple universes existing simultaneously. These universes are separated by energy barriers, and each one has its own set of physical laws. The idea of transferring matter between bubble universes involves breaking through these barriers and moving matter from one universe to another.

2. Is transferring matter between bubble universes possible?

At this point in time, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of transferring matter between bubble universes. The concept is still purely theoretical and there are many challenges and limitations that would need to be overcome for it to be possible.

3. How do scientists propose transferring matter between bubble universes?

There are a few proposed methods for transferring matter between bubble universes. One is through the use of wormholes, which are hypothetical tunnels through space-time that could connect different universes. Another is through the manipulation of quantum entanglement, where particles are connected across vast distances and could potentially be used to transfer information or matter between universes.

4. What are the potential implications of transferring matter between bubble universes?

If transferring matter between bubble universes were to become possible, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also open up new possibilities for space travel and exploration, as well as the potential for accessing resources and environments in other universes.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding transferring matter between bubble universes?

As with any new technology or scientific advancement, there may be ethical concerns surrounding the concept of transferring matter between bubble universes. These could include potential consequences for the universes involved, as well as the potential for misuse or unintended consequences. Further research and consideration would be needed before any attempts at transferring matter between bubble universes could be made.