Unlocking the Secrets of Shark Immune Systems

• Thread starter munky99999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, sharks have near perfect immune systems that make them resistant to diseases such as cancer and anthrax. However, incorporating their genes into human immune systems through gene therapy is not a reliable option. This is due to the difficulty of changing genes and the fact that a single gene is not solely responsible for physical traits. Instead, scientists should focus on understanding the shark's specialized organs and using that knowledge to develop treatments and medications for human health.
munky99999
From what i remember. Sharks have near perfect immune systems.

my question. Why don't scientists try to figure out genetically how this works and try to incorporate it into our immune system.

Biology news on Phys.org
Scientists have found out a lot about immune deficiencies in humans. However incorporation of genes known to be helpful, termed gene therapy", is not very consistent and reliable. This means that changing genes is very difficult. Also a single gene, as important as it maybe, is not usually solely responsible for phenotypes or the physical physiological result. A gene is a participant in a genetic circuit and the way it interacts with other gene products in a spatial (cell to cell, compartment to compartment) and temporal (different developmental states) manner are not yet understood.

You don't have to go to gene-therapy, you could also think of medication based treatments.

Munky, why do you think that sharks have near perfect immune systems?

I do know that they lack some kind of disease, because they cannot make bone out of cartilige. In humans that disease does exist, with every injury they convert cartilige to bone and end up losing flexibility. The scientists turned to sharks to understand the phenomenon, I forgot what the outcome was.

Monique said:
You don't have to go to gene-therapy, you could also think of medication based treatments.

Munky, why do you think that sharks have near perfect immune systems?

I do know that they lack some kind of disease, because they cannot make bone out of cartilige. In humans that disease does exist, with every injury they convert cartilige to bone and end up losing flexibility. The scientists turned to sharks to understand the phenomenon, I forgot what the outcome was.

Well i remember watching a show on the discovery channel, it was like shark week. and in the show the commentator said that this shark is 4 years old and has never been sick. and then went on about how sharks immune systems are very very good.

Since then I've also read that sharks are very well shielded against cancer. and things like anthrax and such things that should kill sharks doesnt.

As for
However incorporation of genes known to be helpful, termed gene therapy", is not very consistent and reliable.
well i dunno, this might be sci-fi but what about using a virus that is recoded to do the gene therapy.

munky99999 said:
From what i remember. Sharks have near perfect immune systems.
my question. Why don't scientists try to figure out genetically how this works and try to incorporate it into our immune system.

From what I have read, sharks do have an immune system that is rather similar to ours and sometime touted as "better", however there are some significant differences bwteen our two species. Most sharks have two additional organs that are believed to be part of their specialized immune system. These two organs are the epigonal organ and Leydig's organ. Little research as been done regarding the full function of these organs, but they appear to be involved in leucocyte formation and T-cell maturation/differentiation. It makes sense that their immune system is different since elasmobranchs (sharks, skates, rays) do not have bones which are the site for production of blood and immune cells in other animals. As far as making humans systems more like sharks and potentially benefiting from such a change, it's unlikely it would work. To begin with, the shark in general is very different from other fishes, let alone humans. As mentioned in this thread they are cartilaginous fish and have no calcium-based bones, they do not have swim bladders but rather use large lipid deposits in the liver to maintain bouyancy. Waste generation and ion-balance is handled very differently in sharks than it is in other marine fish. It is probably a critical mass achieved by all these characteristics that leads the shark to have a "better" immune system than humans. We would be more likely to gain from studies that examine the shark's systems and develop therapies/medicines that we can then adapt/use to benefit human health.

1. What is the purpose of studying shark immune systems?

The study of shark immune systems can provide valuable insights into how they are able to survive and thrive in their marine environments. By understanding how sharks defend against diseases and infections, scientists can potentially develop new treatments and therapies for human diseases.

2. How do shark immune systems differ from those of other animals?

Sharks have a unique immune system that is highly efficient and can fight off a wide range of pathogens. They have a complex adaptive immune system, meaning they can produce antibodies to specific pathogens, as well as a strong innate immune system that provides a first line of defense against infections.

3. What are some of the key components of shark immune systems?

Shark immune systems have several key components, including T cells, B cells, and natural killer cells, which are all involved in the adaptive immune response. They also possess a diverse array of immune cells and molecules, such as granulocytes and complement proteins, which play important roles in their innate immune response.

4. How do sharks use their immune systems to heal wounds?

Sharks have a remarkable ability to heal wounds quickly, and their immune systems play a crucial role in this process. They have a high concentration of white blood cells in their skin, which helps to fight off any potential infections. They also produce a protein called serum amyloid A, which has anti-inflammatory properties and promotes wound healing.

5. What can we learn from studying shark immune systems for human health?

By studying shark immune systems, researchers hope to gain insights into how to improve human health and fight diseases. For example, the shark immune system's ability to produce antibodies could help in the development of new vaccines and treatments for diseases like cancer and HIV. Additionally, the shark immune system's ability to heal wounds quickly could inspire new wound healing therapies for humans.