Building a Farnsworth-Hirsch-Fusor: Pressure Requirements for Bell Jar

In summary, the conversation is about building a Farnsworth-Hirsch-Fusor for a school project. The person is unsure if an ordinary bell jar can hold the necessary pressure of 0.1-10pa. They are advised to have an adult supervisor and to replace the gasket with a new one for better sealing. They also need a vacuum pump that can go down to the mtorr range and a pressure gauge. Additionally, they mention needing Deuterium and two spherical electrodes.
Farnsworth
Hi,
I like to build a Farnsworth-Hirsch-Fusor for a school project. I want to use an ordinary bell jar but I am not quite sure if it will work at the pressure I need (0.1-10pa). Does anybody know how much pressure a bell jar can take?

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, I strongly suggest you enroll an adult supervisor who will make sure you don't fry yourself with the voltage.

I don't think any old bell jar will hold vacuum at the level of 1Pa. I've known bell jars to go down to about 10 - 100Pa, but I'm not sure if that pressure was limited by the leak-rate of the bell jar, outgassing from crud or the limit of the pump. The key is in the seal - if you replace the gasket with a new one (preferable viton or silicone), and clean up stuff nicely, you could get down to below 1Pa.

Also, you'll need access to a vacuum pump that'll go down to the mtorr range. These don't come cheap (a few hundred bucks used, if you're lucky).

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.
Of course I have an adult supervisor helping me.The bell jar is quite a new one. I have also got access to a good pump (according to the owners manual it goes down to 4*10^-4mbar).

In that case, I'd try pumping it down and see how low it goes. There is no risk of the bell jar breaking under the pressure, if that's what you're asking about. Do you have a pressure gauge that you can use?

Unfortunatly I don't have a pressure gauge, I guess that's one of the things I'll have to buy. I also need some Deuterium and two spherical electrodes.

1. What is a Farnsworth-Hirsch-Fusor?

A Farnsworth-Hirsch-Fusor is a device used for nuclear fusion experiments, named after its inventors Philo T. Farnsworth, Robert L. Hirsch, and William R. Fusor. It uses an electric field to accelerate ions towards a central point in a vacuum chamber, where they can fuse and release energy.

2. What are the pressure requirements for the bell jar in a Farnsworth-Hirsch-Fusor?

The pressure inside the bell jar of a Farnsworth-Hirsch-Fusor needs to be very low, typically on the order of 10^-5 to 10^-6 torr. This is necessary to prevent collisions between the ions and gas molecules, which would disrupt the fusion process.

3. How is the pressure inside the bell jar maintained?

The pressure inside the bell jar is maintained by using a vacuum pump to remove air and other gases from the chamber. The pump continuously removes gas molecules, creating a low-pressure environment suitable for fusion reactions.

4. What type of vacuum pump is recommended for maintaining the pressure in a Farnsworth-Hirsch-Fusor?

A diffusion pump is the most commonly used type of vacuum pump for a Farnsworth-Hirsch-Fusor. It operates by boiling a special oil to create a vapor that carries gas molecules out of the chamber. Other types of pumps, such as turbomolecular pumps, can also be used.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with low-pressure environments in a Farnsworth-Hirsch-Fusor?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when working with vacuum pumps and the bell jar of a Farnsworth-Hirsch-Fusor. It is also important to regularly check for leaks and ensure that all equipment is properly grounded to prevent electrical hazards.