Need info on how do helicopter stay on the same place with res to earth

In summary: A and now due to the increase in altitude you loose velocity V and you start to move towards point B (relative to point A).
jainabhs
Hi all
I am Abhishek Jain, recently joined this group.
I have one query which might have been previously asked/explained, but I still have problems in understanding it.

I assume that the Earth is spinning clockwise at 1000 miles per hour.
Suppose a helicopter is traveling anticlockwise to the spin of the Earth from place A to a place called B.
In between, the helicopter stops and stays right there in the air.
Now will the place B arrive to the point where helicopter is standing in the air?

Thanks in anticipation

Abhishek Jain

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that the air is moving so it's stationary to the Earth also (you don't get blown away by 1,000 mph winds, do you?)

Office_Shredder said:
Keep in mind that the air is moving so it's stationary to the Earth also (you don't get blown away by 1,000 mph winds, do you?)

though there still might be a kinetic difference between the two...

If your helicopter could withstand 1,000 mph winds for the duration of its trip, this would be possible. Of course, this would still require a great deal of energy to accomplish.

In fact, think about a supersonic jet fighter flying west to east at 1,000 mph (airspeed). When viewed from, say, a distant satellite, the jet would appear to be "sitting still" in the air while the Earth rotated under it. Of course, it's really expending thousands of gallons of fuel to push itself against the drag of the air at 1,000 mph.

- Warren

Hi,
Thanks for your answers.
Okay so I agree to your views , that the helicopter would feel air-drag and if it sustains this drag in order to stay at one point, the point B would come under.
Now this gives birth to a new confusion: If my helicopter is on point A on the earth. I take it straight up (at right angle) in the air right above point A and stay there.
Will the point B come under after certain amount of time? I think it will not.
But in answer to my first question we have agreed to that point B would come under.
Can anyone tell me what is the different between these two cases?

Thanks in anticipation

If the helicopter goes straight up and remains stationary with respect to the air, which is itself stationary with respect to the ground, then the helicopter will remain stationary with respect to the ground. As the Earth rotates, so the helicopter moves with it.

If the helicopter endeavors to remain stationary with, say, the stars overhead, then it will have to endure a 1,000 mph wind to accomplish it.

- Warren

I think following is the general explanation PLease correct me if wrong

There are basically two cases
I) First is the perfectly closed frame,like air-plane or closed wagon of train.
Here if a bee is flying , no matter in what direction it flies, it would never be hit by the aiplane or the train wagon.
Because it is a closed frame. Everything inside happens with ref to it. I think this case is clear without any doubts

II) Second case is what we were discussing, the Earth and the atomosphere surrounded, stuck to Earth due to gravity and decreasingly dense as the height from ground
increases.
See below two cases
a) If Earth didnt have any atomosphere, there will be vaccum.
In this case spinning Earth and vacuum become two different frames, and so if you fly with helicopter , you need to accelerate in in the direction os spin in order to stay on the same point, in the same way, if you stay where you are the Earth will move ahead of you.
b) Now the Earth has the atomosphere (As it really has)
In this case the system becomes a bit complex like, it is difficult to draw a line where atomosphere ends and vacuum starts.
Consider a case when you are on the point A with your helicopter stable on it. Now according to me the results will depend on how much above you are from that place.
If you are close to Earth surface , you will be dragged along and will have inherent velocity of Earth (just like case of airplane we discussed above).At this height evenif
you travel with your helicopter back and forth and then stop, still you will remain right there where you stopped.

As you elevate more you need to accelerate your helicopter in order to stay on the same place. The reason is apperant : you gained velocity V when you took off from
the Earth and so that is your inherent velocity. Now as you go up, to remain on the same place you need to cover more distance than the point on the Earth does.
Because now there is a significant diff in your and that point's radius of the orbit. So in order to cover more dist in the same time you need to accelerate your helicopter
then only you will stay over the same place. same is true if you are traveling back and forth.

jainabhs said:
a) If Earth didnt have any atomosphere, there will be vaccum.
In this case spinning Earth and vacuum become two different frames, and so if you fly with helicopter , you need to accelerate in in the direction os spin in order to stay on the same point, in the same way, if you stay where you are the Earth will move ahead of you.
Well, remember that, with no atmosphere, you have nothing to fight. Once you have reached your speed, you don't need to expend energy to move in that direction.

jainabhs said:
As you elevate more you need to accelerate your helicopter in order to stay on the same place. The reason is apperant : you gained velocity V when you took off from
the Earth and so that is your inherent velocity. Now as you go up, to remain on the same place you need to cover more distance than the point on the Earth does.
Well... the height you can attain while staying in the atmosphere is negligible in terms of affecting the distance you need to cover. The atmo is only 100 miles high at best. It might add about 0.1% to your distance needed to travel.

jainabhs said:
Because now there is a significant diff in your and that point's radius of the orbit. So in order to cover more dist in the same time you need to accelerate your helicopter
then only you will stay over the same place. same is true if you are traveling back and forth.
Yyyyeah... See now you're talking about orbits, which has nothing to do with helicopters. You now have to find some other way of holding yourself up, since there's no air. The way we do it is by going so fast we reach orbital speed. If you wanted to maintain your position over the Earth you'd have to get to 35,000 miles high!

These two things, atmosperic flight and orbital mechanics are completely unrelated, and I think you're just going to get confused if you link them.

Thank you very much dave for your great feedback.

1. How does a helicopter stay in the same place relative to the earth?

A helicopter stays in the same place relative to the earth by using its main rotor blades to generate lift and counteract the force of gravity. The pilot can adjust the angle of the rotor blades to control the amount of lift and keep the helicopter hovering in one spot.

2. What is the role of the tail rotor in keeping a helicopter in place?

The tail rotor on a helicopter helps to counteract the torque produced by the main rotor blades. This torque is a result of the spinning motion of the rotors and without the tail rotor, the helicopter would spin uncontrollably. By adjusting the tail rotor, the pilot can also help to keep the helicopter in place.

3. How does air pressure affect a helicopter's ability to hover in one spot?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in a helicopter's ability to hover in one spot. The main rotor blades are designed to create a low-pressure area above the blades, which generates lift. The higher the air pressure, the more lift the helicopter can generate, making it easier to stay in one place.

4. Can a helicopter stay in one place indefinitely?

In theory, a helicopter can hover in one place indefinitely as long as it has enough fuel and the pilot is able to maintain control. However, in practice, there are limits to how long a helicopter can hover due to factors such as weather conditions and mechanical limitations.

5. How do pilots maintain their position when hovering in windy conditions?

Pilots use a combination of techniques to maintain their position when hovering in windy conditions. These can include adjusting the power and pitch of the main rotor blades, using the cyclic control to move the helicopter in a specific direction, and making small corrections with the tail rotor.