What is the Best Treatment for Lyme's Disease?

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disease
In summary, Lyme disease is a serious disease that can be caused by ticks. Lyme disease can be diagnosed by looking for the tick bite on the back part of the arm, and can be treated with antibiotics. Lyme disease can be caused by deer ticks, which can also be the vector for other tick-borne diseases.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Freakin' ticks!

I just got diagnosed this morning with Lyme's disease. Not too surprising since I live just three towns over from Lyme, but dang! Talk about throwing a monkey wrench into my plans! I'm doing a half marathon in three weeks and all my joints are grinding, I've got "sand" in my eyes and I'm fatigued all the time.

Where did this disease come from anyway? It simply didn't exist when I was a kid. [CONSPIRACY]Was it really created by the government on Plum Island?[/CONSPIRACY]

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry about that, Chi. I've never heard about this disease apart from hearing it on a radio advert.

We want pics of the juicy bits! :yuck:

Whats it look like?

Chi Meson said:
Freakin' ticks!

I just got diagnosed this morning with Lyme's disease. Not too surprising since I live just three towns over from Lyme, but dang! Talk about throwing a monkey wrench into my plans! I'm doing a half marathon in three weeks and all my joints are grinding, I've got "sand" in my eyes and I'm fatigued all the time.

Where did this disease come from anyway? It simply didn't exist when I was a kid. [CONSPIRACY]Was it really created by the government on Plum Island?[/CONSPIRACY]
Are you ok? What stage are you in?

Chi Meson said:

Sorry to hear that. Lyme disease, Babesiosis and erlichisosis are significant problems in our area. Deer are a final stop after mice, which are probably the principal vector for the ticks.

Lyme Disease and other Tick-borne Diseases
http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/environ/lyme/home.htm

http://www.dhss.mo.gov/TicksCarryDisease/

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/communicable_diseases/en/erlich.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/ehrlichia/Index.htm
http://www.ento.vt.edu/HotStuff/Tick.html

It sounds pretty advanced if the joints are aching and and you are fatigued all the time.

I have to be careful around our property. At certain times, I can walk around the periphery and find several ticks waiting to catch onto an animal. Our dog periodically picks up a tick or two, so she must wear a flea collar. And I always check clothes and skin before I step into the house. I however missed a tick a few weeks ago, and found it embedded one evening, and promptly removed it. There was a slight reaction, local swelling and itching, but I have not have any subsequent illness, so I assume I do not have one of the tick-borne diseases.

Last edited by a moderator:
lunarmansion said:
It comes from deer. You have to be careful if you live around the woods. One of my friends caught it and did not know he had it for years and it had a terrible effect. You are lucky you got diagnosed right away.
Actually, that's not true. It comes from deer ticks, which pick it up from deer mice. Deer do also carry deer ticks, but they aren't the vector for Lyme disease, they just help drop the ticks off in your back yard.

Moonbear said:
Actually, that's not true. It comes from deer ticks, which pick it up from deer mice. Deer do also carry deer ticks, but they aren't the vector for Lyme disease, they just help drop the ticks off in your back yard.
I think our cat (who is a champion mouser) is bringing the ticks into the house. We do live adjacent to wetlands, and I have been collecting firewoord, so I can't be sure.

The bite is on the back part of my triceps (the part of your arm you can't see too easily). It's actually very early stage; my joints aren't that bad. and the fatigue didn't stop me from chopping a full cord of wood this week.

3trQN said:
We want pics of the juicy bits! :yuck:

Whats it look like?
Looks like THIS!
bullseye.jpg

Yep, looks like Lyme to me. :bugeye: That sux.

I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever when I was 11. Got bit by a tick the last day of my Girl Scout camping trip. I was very sick for 6 months.

It does look just like a giant bulls-eye! :eek: I'd stay away from the Vice President for a while, if I were you.

Are you on antibiotics or anything? Hope you get better...

Sounds like you need a good dose of Tetracycline.

Gokul43201 said:
From what I read, it goes away in a couple weeks or so after you start treatment. I do think you should save the marathon up for next year.

Try this - it should make you better - I concocted it just for you!

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/8873/lymeawayoa0.jpg
:rofl: :rofl: Poor Chi.

Chi Meson said:
I think our cat (who is a champion mouser) is bringing the ticks into the house. We do live adjacent to wetlands, and I have been collecting firewoord, so I can't be sure.
One needs to check the cat - use a flea comb. Also, think about a tick/flea collar. If the cat is getting on the furniture, particularly the bed, then make sure ticks are not getting off.

Chi Meson said:
The bite is on the back part of my triceps (the part of your arm you can't see too easily). It's actually very early stage; my joints aren't that bad. and the fatigue didn't stop me from chopping a full cord of wood this week.
I hope your treatment goes well, and that you get over it quickly.

I thought I'd go with homeopathy this time. I put a drop of this stuff in a glass of water, then threw it into the front yard and sniffed the air over the grass where it landed. I expect to start feeling better any time now.

Moonbear said:

To be precise, the most common zoonotic reservoir (not vector) in your neck of the woods for Borrelia burgdorferi is Peromyscus leucopus, which is the white-footed mouse. Deer mice (if I'm not mistaken) comprise other species within the genus Peromyscus.

Tick nymphs of the genus Ixodes (and others) infest these mice and pick up the Borrelia spirochetes and act as vectors in their transmission to people. Adult ticks preferentially feed on larger mammals like deer, and adult ticks can transmit the spirochete directly to humans. But since transovarial spread of the bacterium in Ixodid ticks is not thought to be important, deer are not as important as white-footed mice in serving as reservoirs of human infection.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
I thought I'd go with homeopathy this time. I put a drop of this stuff in a glass of water, then threw it into the front yard and sniffed the air over the grass where it landed. I expect to start feeling better any time now.
:rofl: I guess that's as good as Gokul's remedy for you! :rofl:

Curious3141 said:
To be precise, the most common zoonotic reservoir (not vector) in your neck of the woods for Borrelia burgdorferi is Peromyscus leucopus, which is the white-footed mouse. Deer mice (if I'm not mistaken) comprise other species within the genus Peromyscus.
Doh! *smacks forehead* Thanks for the correction.

I hope you feel great soon Chi Meson.

Our clinic saw a child a few months ago with a dark brown foreign body in the conjunctiva. It was a tiny tick. He was taken to the OR to remove the tick but when they put in the Betadine prep the tick dislodged itself from the eye.
Here is a photo of it. The pt. wouldn't hold still long enough to get a good photo but you can see the legs of the tick.

http://home.comcast.net/~larkspur2020/tick.jpg

Astronuc said:
That's one possibility. Amoxicillin and Doxycycline are other possibilities. Hopefully, one's doctor has experience treating patients with Lyme disease, or knows other doctors who have treated patients with Lyme disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease#Treatment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease - usefuel bibliography

Back home, the *only* anti-biotics that work on 'tick-bite fever' are the tetracycline family. We use this on cattle, sheep & humans... the penicillin derivatives do nothing in that case... ouch... leaves folks with a nasty headache for around 10-14 days & the symptoms are often misdiagnosed as a spider byte... A stiff course of tetracycline gets one up in around 3 days... :biggrin:

desA

For your information, the winning treatment is...
DOXY!

Doxy Cycline, come on up here! Let's hear it for Doxy.

What is the best treatment for Lyme's Disease?

The best treatment for Lyme's Disease is a course of antibiotics. The specific antibiotics used may vary depending on the stage and severity of the disease, but the most commonly prescribed antibiotics are doxycycline, amoxicillin, and cefuroxime. These antibiotics help to kill the bacteria that causes Lyme's Disease and prevent further complications.

How long does treatment for Lyme's Disease last?

The length of treatment for Lyme's Disease can vary depending on the stage and severity of the disease. For early-stage Lyme's Disease, a 2-4 week course of antibiotics is typically recommended. For more advanced cases, treatment may last for several months. It is important to follow the treatment plan prescribed by your doctor and continue taking antibiotics for the full duration, even if symptoms improve.

Are there any alternative treatments for Lyme's Disease?

While antibiotics are the most effective treatment for Lyme's Disease, some patients may also choose to incorporate alternative treatments such as herbal supplements, acupuncture, or hyperbaric oxygen therapy. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before trying any alternative treatments, as they may not be effective and could potentially interfere with the prescribed antibiotics.

Can Lyme's Disease be cured?

With early diagnosis and proper treatment, Lyme's Disease can be cured. However, in some cases, symptoms may persist even after treatment. This is known as post-treatment Lyme's Disease syndrome (PTLDS) and may require additional treatment and management of symptoms.

How can Lyme's Disease be prevented?

The best way to prevent Lyme's Disease is to avoid tick bites. This can be done by using insect repellent, wearing protective clothing when spending time outdoors, and performing regular tick checks. If a tick is found, it should be removed promptly and properly. It is also important to be aware of the signs and symptoms of Lyme's Disease and seek medical attention if you suspect you may have been bitten by a tick.