Forces and friction of pushed crate

In summary: Solve for the magnitude of the force and you will get the correct answer of 93.3N.In summary, to move the crate at constant velocity, the worker must apply a force of 93.3N at an angle of 28.8 degrees below the horizontal, taking into account the increased normal force and friction due to the downward push.
trajan22
A factory worker pushes a 28.8 kg crate a distance of 4.25 m along a level floor at constant velocity by pushing downward at an angle of 28.8 degrees below the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and floor is 0.250 .
What magnitude of force must the worker apply to move the crate at constant velocity?

what i did is take it that the force pushing the crate must be equal to the force of friction since there is no acceleration.
F(friction)=mg mu_k therefore 28.8*9.8*.25
this is the force in the x direction therefore
tan(28.8)*70.56(force of friction)=magnitude of the force in y direction i then use c^2=a^2+b^2 to find total force which i get to be 80.51N
however i am told the correct answer is 93.3N
where have i gone wrong??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The worker is not pushing the crate with a horizontal force. By pushing downward, the worker is increasing the normal force required to support the crate and increasing the friction. You need to account for this extra force.

Last edited:
but since both are variables how could I solve for this

trajan22 said:
but since both are variables how could I solve for this
You know the direction of the force. The only unknown you need to find is the magnitude of the force. Look at the free body diagram and account for all of the forces. The normal force will now depend on the magnitude of the applied force, but it can be expressed in terms of given quantities and the unknown force. Your horizontal equation will then have only one unknown.

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How does friction affect a pushed crate?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. When a crate is pushed, friction acts in the opposite direction of the push, making it more difficult to move the crate.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on a pushed crate?

The amount of friction on a pushed crate is affected by the type of surface the crate is on, the weight of the crate, and the force applied to the crate.

4. How can we reduce friction on a pushed crate?

Friction can be reduced by using a lubricant, such as oil or grease, between the crate and the surface it is being pushed on. Additionally, reducing the weight of the crate or using wheels can also decrease friction.

5. Why is it important to understand forces and friction when pushing a crate?

Understanding forces and friction is important when pushing a crate because it can help us determine the amount of force needed to move the crate, as well as the best way to move it efficiently. It also helps us prevent injury by using proper techniques to minimize the force of friction on our bodies.